Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Egg Inside of a Egg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jkraft

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Willow Springs, NC
Yesterday to my surprise I found a really big egg.
wee.gif
I thought given the size it had to be a double yolker or maybe a egg inside of egg. I have never had it happen to me but have read about it. I cracked it open and was just a really big egg with a big yolk. I guess next time if it happens again I should weigh it. I believe one of my Buff Orpingtons laid it and they have been laying since December at 6 months old. I shouldn't be to concerned about unless it keeps happening? Not sure. I have a silkie that is 7 months old that I am waiting to lay still but it looked like a buff egg color wise.

Regular Sized Egg & Big Egg

Same eggs cooked:

Yesterday to my surprise I found a really big egg.
wee.gif
I thought given the size it had to be a double yolker or maybe a egg inside of egg. I have never had it happen to me but have read about it. I cracked it open and was just a really big egg with a big yolk. I guess next time if it happens again I should weigh it. I believe one of my Buff Orpingtons laid it and they have been laying since December at 6 months old. I shouldn't be to concerned about unless it keeps happening? Not sure. I have a silkie that is 7 months old that I am waiting to lay still but it looked like a buff egg color wise.
As long as your hen is fine I would not worry too much. My silkies occasionally lay double yolked eggs and, so far, it has not caused any health concern.

Imagine it's from the buff. Silkie aren't known for large eggs. I miss the production birds in first flock and their laying of jumbo eggs. Largest I ever got from those girls couldn't be weighed on any of my scales. Have a 100 gram egg scale and that bottomed out with it's weight-was double yolk. As second year layers gave regularly 80+ gram single yolk eggs.

Of course I had to get all persnickety and go standard bred birds then with move had to start all over last spring with eggs. They didn't come into lay prior to solstice...10 months old and I'd dance for joy getting a peewee egg. Ugh!

It's rather hard to judge size from the picture, but when I compare the hand to egg size I believe my silkie eggs are not far from those on the picture. Then, my silkies are large for a bantam breed. When I compare my silkie eggs with the large store bought eggs, the difference is slight.

Back
Top Bottom