Small coop ideas needs

Coop Lanson

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2016
Hi there! I do have some time but would like to get a start on it since the general search has turned up limited. I have two chicks and two ducks. Because of the law here I will not be keeping anymore than that at a time. The plan is to have a coop for the chickens and a house for the ducks within a 10wx10lx6h outdoor dog kennel. I will have it secured with chicken wire lined inside and the top will be covered. I have found a great dog house for the ducks and building a door and painting it is as far as my "building" skills will go.

So the reason we are here, I need to find a chicken coop that is just a coop! I do not need the run attached since it will be within the kennel and because of the size of it I wont need anything huge for them to just sleep in. I also plan on letting them out of the kennel sometimes because I am closed in with a 6ft privacy fence.

Where can I get a small 2 chicken coop that I don't have to spend over $100 for?

Hello I think I have what you need. My 3 girls are too large for my coop...I think it might be a great fit. It's less than a year and in great shape! Are you still looking? I have pictures

I can't seem to get the pictures onto this thread....just saw where you live...I'm in Denver Colorado this may be an issue

For just two chickens, why not just use another dog house - find a largish wooden one on sale on Craigslist and modify it - cut out the back and hinge that piece you cut out to make a clean-out door (add a latch of course) - cut out a rectangle of ventilation - add a roost??? To conserve run space, you could screw four 2x4 legs (about 18" tall) onto to make it elevated... Food could go underneath to help keep rain out...???

Last edited:
That does sound like a good idea thank you! I was thinking of roosting space and nesting and knew chickens needed more than ducks so I didn't think I could achieve that with a dog house.

Well...with just two chickens, a large doghouse should be fine...hopefully you can find one about 36"x36" or so...that would be 9sq. ft. Most recommend a minimum of 2-4sq. ft per bird, depending on whether you're in an area that gets winters or not, so that would cover it....take out 12 inches for a nest box (unless the house is tall enough inside to wall mount a box). Good luck! Post pics if you go that route - always love to see conversions!

Back
Top Bottom