Squat to first egg?

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
How long before I should expect my first egg after a hen's submissive squat? I've now noticed 2 of my almost 22 week old hen's squatting for me. Just making sure I don't miss the excitement of my first egg song!

Thanks!

I noticed my first hen squatting on Thursday of last week but haven't seen anything yet. I put up curtains and ping pong balls in the nesting boxes. I have noticed that the balls are moved a couple times a day. Would it be better to put one of my duck eggs in each box to help show them?

If the balls are being moved than your hens are looking in them and trying them out, I wouldn't use real eggs, fake ceramic are best with golf balls being my second choice. The biggest indicator to me for the initial egg seems to be the hen gets very talkative and loud the day before or the day of laying.

These two have been really talkative for a few days so I am hoping is soon! They haven't been out of the coop much over the last few days due to the weather being very wet. Will that stop them from laying with all the others in there?

Thanks again everyone for your advice#

When the egg is coming nothing will usually stop it. Stress can make it come out early and have no shell. They do get goofy sometimes when they first start laying. It does sound like it will be within the next week.

My little RIR runt Ginger had zero egg laying indications... Zero! Her wattle and comb are teeny and not that red, no squatting (until yesterday) she laid her first egg 8/20!!! Second 8/22! She was quiet as well.. Only thing that made me wonder is that she was in and out of the coop a few times and her bum was going in and out weirdly.. A couple others have had large red combs & wattles and have been squatting for 6 weeks! Just got my first egg from my larger RIR (Henrietta) and 1 from my Deleware's (Cluck) so I know from experience that squatting, egg song, red combs and wattles are NOT a guarantee eggs are soon to follow! It'll happen when their ready!! I know the anticipation is crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom