Is it possible ? (I guess with Guineas, it could be?)

malinois

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Butler Pennsylvania
I am watching my birds here in SW PA. I have 2 sets, one set of 2M, & 2F in a coop/run, and one set of 2M, 4 F free ranging. This arrangement is working to keep the free range birds closer to home. The coop birds are consistently producing 2 eggs a day, in the late afternoon.

However:
My question is: For the past 48 hours, I have contained the free range birds in my barn. I have found 1 egg that was laid today-the rest i have dated with a magic marker.....

So, Can they withhold laying eggs? until they get to their chosen nesting area? or????

I am trying to convince them to lay these eggs in my barn, so they are safe, and I can keep the keets safe IF they would hatch.
Am I being too controlling....should I just let them do what nature says, and let the free range birds out, to lay "whereever" and let any number of things happen to them? or should I try to control their WILD BIRD laying habits?

Birds can't withhold eggs only using sheer willpower any more than a person could stop going to the bathroom. Sure, if disturbed they can hold an egg in for a little bit, but it's not gonna be long before they need to lay. Now, that is the case with fully formed eggs. A bird who has been laying eggs but suddenly goes through a period of stress or environmental change may cease doing so, as their body is too busy freaking out over whatever is causing them stress to continue producing eggs. Production usually picks up once they have settled down, which can take anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks, depending on how extreme the stress is. It's also important to keep in mind that guinea's aren't particularly great layers, so it's possible that she just isn't ready to lay an egg again yet.

Whether or not to confine them is entirely up to you and your breeding plans. If keeping them alive and collecting the eggs is important to you, it would be wise to confine them. If you do not care if they are taken by predators or they are easily replaceable, you could continue free ranging, but keep in mind that loss is less of a likelihood and more of an eventuality.

Back
Top Bottom