New Silkie, strange behaviour.

CorvidLady

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Hello!

Recently, our newest flock members (two silkie hens) have begun integrating with our existing birds (EE, Faverolles and Ameraucana and a pair of Sumatra hens that do their own thing).
They both still mostly stick together, while the others roam around in other areas of the property.
One of the hens is bolder, and will do something I've never seen any of our flock do.
She will come barreling into the group when I bring out treats, (or if they just happen to be congregating in the same area) crouched with her wings spread, and rush around clucking.
It's very strange.

At first I assumed it was just submissive squatting, but it doesn't look like the same behaviour.

Any ideas?
1f615.png

Last edited:
She sounds like she's acting out having chicks, she is probably broody but haven't started setting yet. Silkies will go repeatedly broody throughout the year.

Otherwise it's possibly a rooster.

She sounds like she's acting out having chicks, she is probably broody but haven't started setting yet. Silkies will go repeatedly broody throughout the year.

Otherwise it's possibly a rooster.

I was wondering about broodiness. It definitely reminds me of the images I've seen of mother hens sheltering chicks.
She's definitely a hen, as she is laying, although her size, stance and wattles gave us a lot of pause at first!

Last edited:
I have always found silkies to be odd birds, always acting differently than other breeds. It is the reason they sometimes become a target from bullies. Yours sounds like she is holding her own, they do get feisty when broody.

I have always found silkies to be odd birds, always acting differently than other breeds. It is the reason they sometimes become a target from bullies. Yours sounds like she is holding her own, they do get feisty when broody.

They are definitely different than what I'm used to, but they have charm. Lol

If she is in the broody mindframe, would now be a good time to encourage setting? I wouldn't mind giving her some eggs to incubate.
She doesn't seem interested in brooding any of the eggs that end up in their nest box thus far.

Silkies like ground nests so I always provide a few, that might help if you don't have any. Otherwise it could be she's still not feeling comfortable in your coop yet to actually set, that would take a bit of time.

Typical silkie behavior. I've noticed that my 10 standard chicks run if the sense danger but my silkie hens (3 years old) will squat in the face of danger. I never free range my silkies for this reason. Silkies are definitely different from standards. They don't roost, they are ground sleeers, they can't get wet because they can't shed water like other birds they soak to the bone. ,,they are definitely different!

Back
Top Bottom