Integration suggestions

daniellecm

Songster
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Hello all

I have a bit of a situation that I'm looking to all you experts for some guidance. Little background info I have two separate coops. One with 4 Dominique's and one with 3 silkies. One of my silkies was broody and we gave her to baby buff orphintons and she adopted them right away. The second day one died and she has been raising the other one just lovely.
The baby is now 4 weeks old and the silkie hen is looking like she might want to join her friends again. (They are separated ) what should I do wit he the baby? Put it in wits the silkies or doms? UT really should probably be separated longer however it has no friend.

Any suggestions at all welcome

Allow the baby to return with mom. She will likely help it integrate better and protect if for a while yet. Many people prefer to raise chicks with broodies for this reason as well as the other host of others that make them great.

I agree, leave baby with mom. Now would be a good time to put both in the rest of the flock. While the baby is still a baby, mom will still have some instinct to protect it. If you wait, that instinct will be diminished.

HI

Thank you that was my thought as well.
My only issue is I have one other broody silkie in the coop. She has been picking on the mom with the adoption baby. Should I take the broody out?

Are they in really tight quarters? Each should feel that they have enough space to protect their brood. That is why if you are having a second broody she is pecking at the others. It is a natural defense of her own babies. How big are your coops and runs? If you have enough space then it would remove some of the issues. If not, having more babies will just make the space even smaller.

Last edited:
Morning. It's actually when I let them free range in the day. All my girls seem to be fine with the baby bit when the broody comes out she will go after the mama with her one baby. As they share the same coop I'm worried about them all in there together at night

You're doing fine with a complex situation. You know your individual chickens and flock better than anyone, so keep following your instincts.

You probably have very little to worry about in the coop at night. Chickens are usually more intent on settling in for the night than they are in causing conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom