The Magpie

The Duck Ladie

Duck Addict
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
I want to tell you all about the magpie breed, which is my favorite.
To start here's a picture of my favorite Magpie Miel:

Oliver Drake and M. C. Gower-Williams of Wales are credited with the developing these charming duckies.
The name of this breed refers to its distinctive markings. The markings are hard to perfect.
Here's an example of an exceptionally marked magpie:
magpieDan%20Fenner.jpg

Black and Blue are the standard magpie colors. Silvers are a natural product of blues and Chocolates are extremely rare.
Magpies are a lightweight breed of duck, girls weighing about 5.5 pounds and boys around 6.0 pounds. Magpies are also very good layers, laying about 220-290 eggs a year ( or at least the girls do.
tongue.png
) They're excellent foragers, which is great, if you ask me! Now for some sad news: Magpies are rare
hit.gif
. Which is one reason I got a pair this spring, so I could breed them next year! I'm new to them, but I love them already! I hope their numbers increase, because they're such a sweet and charming breed!

Last edited:
You should get one! I got one he's such a dear.

I should. I bet Moon would make beautiful babies with eyebrows XD I should breed her my biggest Rouen and see if the babies have "eyebrows and mascara" too. Wouldn't that be cool? I bet they would be beautiful! Especially drakes. Oh! What if they had black bills too?! That would be the best!

Last edited:
LOVE my Magpies, just had 11 successfully hatched from incubatorfrom the four adults pictured. Eventually after building up my flock want to start selling. They are still on the critical list, great egg layers and clean meat(the breast meat is white, not dark like most duck meat, considered gourmet).

Back
Top Bottom