How did I get here?

CarolynsChicks

In the Brooder
May 4, 2016
Hi All! I am Carolyn from NY.

I got suckered into this chicken thing by my husband and kids.
tongue.png

Little back story. I have been divorced from my children's dad for 6 years now. At his house they have chicken's and ducks. I have no idea what kind. Before 2 months ago, I didn't even know there were kinds!!!

The kids talk about them all the time. From what they say, they take care of them every other weekend when they are there. So obviously, they must be experts....right?...LOL

At my house, we have a couple of dogs. One old man Mastiff, and one blind Collie. Also 3 Cats, 1 Rabbit and 2 Ferrets. Rabbit and ferrets are caged. I completely modified their "homes"so you can see my work. I will try to attach a pic.

They kids have been asking for chickens here, and even my now husband is on board with this idea.

They went to the local feed store, and saw they baby chicks sign... Next thing I knew, they choose 6 Barred Rock chicks to "be arriving in early May" This was 6 weeks ago.

Since then I have been all over the internet. Hunting for info. (This site was a life saver)
I have been on You Tube looking at coops and designs, watering systems from PCV, runs, fencing....The works. I am a DIY chick.

My husband barely knows how to pick up a screwdriver, not to mention use one. And he's okay with that. I guess I am too, cause I have seen him attempt to use one. It wasn't pretty. I did buy some cheap coop that is good for 6-8 chickens...even tho it said for more... I know they lie. I am going to be modify the coop to give it height, and maybe a bit bigger runs. I will be adding shingles and waterproofing to the coop too. Make it last a bit longer, so I have time to plan the Coop of Chicken Dreams. (if this chicken thing works out of course)
I work FT, chase after the 5 kids, (also their taxi) attempt to keep up with the home, care for the acre of land I have.
(Hubby is allergic to lawnmowers apparently but sometimes I make him suffer)
bow.gif
LOL (I really LOVE doing the outside work. He does most of the cleaning)

So TODAY IS THE BIG DAY. When I get home from work today, I will have 6 babies there. I set up the brooder this am. (large clear, see thru bin with hardware mesh top and cut sides to side access. They will be in my kitchen where all the action will be.

SO I am joining you on this ride of chicken ownership, and I feel SO invested already, and I haven't even met them.

Thank you for all the stories and shares on here.

Hi :welcome Carolyn

Glad you could join us here! I have really enjoyed reading your intro and all about how you have been sucked into the whole chicken business!! I'm sure you will enjoy them very much, lots of fun and very rewarding too. It really is something the whole family can enjoy as I'm sure you will.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you for the Welcome!!
Last night when I arrived home, I ran into the house..... only to be disappointed. The baby chicks were not there.
hit.gif
Apparently, there was some sort of a mix up and they are arriving today. (So they say)

So all day yesterday, at my desk, being completely UN-PRODUCTIVE for work (cause I was on the internet looking at baby chicks) and now I will have TWO unproductive days this week. I don't even want to think about what tomorrow may be like.... I may call in sick.
jumpy.gif

Glad you arrived at Backyard chickens. Have you checked out the coops section for ideas, styles, sizes etc? Hope you will update with photos once your chicks are settled in.

Thank You!!!!

Yes, I have... My head spins with the possibles. The coop building is right up my alley. I have other indoor projects going on now, so I think next summer the "permanent" coop will be up.
Until then I have a farm store-bought coop, that I will be modifying over the next few weeks, and I think it will be a great starter coop for me to try things out on. Especially water & feeders. I am in NY so it can get really cold. So i will call it my Test Run Coop.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom