Looking for someone to build a custom coop in Asheville, NC

GoTeamChickens

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Hello!
We are excited and looking forward to adding chickens to our family but I am unhappy with the coops that am finding online to buy (leaky roofs, too big, cheap wood, not adequate ventilation, etc). We are looking for a stationary small coop (housing 3-4 chickens) but we want it to be well made with good insulation, quality wood and adequate ventilation. Does anyone know of anyone in the area of Asheville, NC that builds chicken coops? We've gotten names from several people that are willing to build one for us but they have no knowledge of proper chicken housing so we're hoping to find someone that's knowledgable about chickens and building a "proper" coop. OR if anyone has any recommendations for a good small coop to purchase online I'm open-minded to that as well.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!! :)

GTC:

Reading through your list of desired criteria, you were doing well until you got to the part about insulation. A good chicken coop does not need insulation to retain heat. At least not in the sidewalls. In a well designed, well ventilated coop that is also free of drafts, birds in your climate will be able to take care of themselves with no heat or insulation at all. If a metal roof is used, it may need to be insulated simply to keep moisture from condensing on the roof metal in the inside......where it will rain down on the birds.

If you have someone with building skills, your best bet may be to keep doing your research......go through the plans and photos on BYC, develop a general build plan and let your local person do it. A good house should have some basic features as dictated by the needs of the birds themselves, but need not be as elaborate as some have done.

This 3 to 4 birds......is that capped by local ordinances or your expected needs? In either case, if that is the number, a coop in the range of 4' x 4' or better......4' x 6' or better still, 6' x 6' will work for you. Unless the birds will be able to safely roam about (safe from predators and even domestic animals who would eat or kill them), best to also plan on a covered, enclosed run. Again, plenty of ideas on BYC that an experienced builder can follow.

Once you come up with a general plan, you may want to run it past the forum. Plenty of folks here will help you tweak it into something that will work well for the birds and something you will be happy with as well.

Ditto on no need for insulation, especially in NC. You want vented but draft and leak free for winter and open and breezy for summer. Insulation is just a good place for mice to live.

Hi, Howard E. & TAL: Thanks for your response! Yes, I picked the wrong word... instead of insulation I should have said, "Weather-proof" or "leak free" or "draft free".

3-4 birds is the limit we want for our needs as well as having adequate roaming space for them. We are planning on building a fully enclosed run area for them to stay in if we have to be away for 1-2 days but also have another safe, gated space that they will be spending their day's when we are home (which is the majority of the time). My husband is able to build the enclosed run and roaming boarder but doesn't have the tools or time to build a quality coop as well.

Thanks again for your response... I guess I'll start working on plans and run it by the awesome folks on here to help me tweak it!

Hi, I don't know if any of you live in Asheville or around it, but we have some freak, very severe winters. Insulation is useful in our area. I live in Leicester. All of our coops have insulation, we use thin insulation but it is very useful in the winters. I actually just stopped working on a new one today. I have small birds, so heat in the winter is a must. The key is to only have it in the side walls and for it to be sealed, so that the birds can in NO WAY get to it. In my opinion, you would be MUCH better off looking up some online tutorials and building it for yourself. It doesn't have to be fancy, but if you have experience building one, you will be able to fix any problems you may have with it. Its hard to find experienced foul owners in Asheville. If you have friends in Leicester or Woodfin you may be better off asking them for contacts. I will post pictures on this feed for small but efficient coops that would fit in an Asheville space. How much room do you have for a coop? Do you live inside Asheville or on the outskirts?

I know its been awhile, but check out All Cooped Up, on Facebook. They are based out of Raleigh but I know they have delivered a distance. Im probably going to be getting my coop from them next spring.

Back
Top Bottom