Day 23 & no chicks :(

ite77

Hatching
Jun 20, 2016
Spanaway WA
I have a very broody hen sitting on 14 eggs for 22 days now. She is from a flock of 4 hens & 1 rooster. I separated the rest of the flock from her in the very beginning. Although it's been 22 days, still no peeping or movement in the eggs. She still does leave the nest a couple times a day but always goes right back to sitting. How much longer should I wait before assuming my eggs won't hatch?

Has there been any progress yet? I have had an egg or two hatch under a broody as late as day 25, so anything is possible! Have you candled the eggs at any stage to check if they are fertile and developing?

Yes!!!! This evening, the end of day 25. I counted 3 so far but she won't let me look lol!! So so super excited!!

Today is day 21 for us and I have 2 little faces so far and I can see the third is /was hatching but I can't tell if it's alive / where it's at cause momma won't let me get a good look. How long do I wait? I don't want to leave a rotting situation in the nest...the 2 chicks have hatched nearly 24 hours apart as far as I can tell.

My first ones just hatched this evening, the end of day 25. I was just walking over to take the eggs out and discard them. So my advice would be, wait! :D

My first ones just hatched this evening, the end of day 25. I was just walking over to take the eggs out and discard them. So my advice would be, wait! :D
Thanks. I'm a bit edgy cause I lost 2 yesterday to another broody. Looks like she squashed them mid-hatch. So upsetting. I don't want to mess with nature but I don't want the chicks to be hanging out with a body either
1f616.png
My first "crack" at hatching chicks! So exciting I agree :)

Good to know this, as we are on day 21 with only i chick hatch yesterday. I am hoping for at least 1 more hatch!

Back
Top Bottom