Will hatcheries ship 3 birds?

Jenna14Chicken

Songster
Mar 19, 2016
OH.
Hey everyone I was wanted a few more birds to add to the flock next year. I am wanting certain birds that are not at local feed stores or anywhere. I don't no anyone who has them that could sell or give me any so I thought I would just try shipping. I have never done this before but I think I will try it ONLY IF they will send-ship a few birds. So will a hatchery do this? If so which hatcheries? And please if possible tell me the cost and rating

Meyer Hatchery offers a 3 chick minimum for most of the year.
smile.png
With any hatchery, you're going to get mixed opinions of their customer service and survival rate (though the latter depends more on your postal service), but I have to say that Meyer is BY FAR my favorite of the places we've tried. We live very close and have both had orders shipped or picked up in person. Good-quality birds, very healthy, and nice employees.

~Alex

Thank you very much! We were thinking about getting them from there but wernt sure. Where is Meyer hatchery located?

Thank you very much! We were thinking about getting them from there but wernt sure. Where is Meyer hatchery located?

I believe Ohio, but what I wanted to say is even though they will ship a small number like three, if you can add to that number, it seems to be easier on the birds as far as maintaining their temperature goes. You might want to check and see if you can find someone in your area who will go in with you on an order and that way you can order more and also split the shipping.
One year three of us ordered a dozen and it went well with no problems.

You're welcome! Meyer is located in Polk, Ohio.
smile.png

I believe Ohio, but what I wanted to say is even though they will ship a small number like three, if you can add to that number, it seems to be easier on the birds as far as maintaining their temperature goes. You might want to check and see if you can find someone in your area who will go in with you on an order and that way you can order more and also split the shipping.
One year three of us ordered a dozen and it went well with no problems.
I agree, and another consideration might be ordering during the nice, warm months.
big_smile.png

~Alex

That's greAt I live in Ohio! Also we plan on getting them next April so it should be warm. Now What I have meaning to ask is will they send more birds than what I asked for since I such a small number?

That's greAt I live in Ohio! Also we plan on getting them next April so it should be warm. Now What I have meaning to ask is will they send more birds than what I asked for since I such a small number?

You can check and maybe request "packing peanuts" (A heat pack might be a better choice), but many hatcheries don't add anything to small orders as they think that perhaps that is all you are allowed, plus often the packing peanuts are cockerels and again, often people ordering small numbers are in the suburbs and can't have many or can't have roosters.

Wonderful! No, they won't stick in any extras.
smile.png
We've ordered very small numbers before and never gotten any unexpected surprises.

~Alex

Ok great we are aloud to have as many as we want and roosters cause we are in the country in Ohio but I only want 3 cause I already have 8 birds.

Back
Top Bottom