Is it to early to go outside?

calcifer

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2015
Hello I have a batch of coturnix that are almost 4 weeks old and are getting a bit cramped in my small brooder. All of the quail are fully feathered but small. In the past when I have hatched in the fall and early spring I keep the quail indoors in till 6 weeks but with the weather being warmer( high of 86 and low of 63) I was wandering if they could go out now.

63 is not to cold , I had my quails out of my brooder and into the coop at 2weeks old and it got down to 35'and I didn't lose a single one...most people don't realize how resilient quails really are

If they have all their feathers then they're ready to go outside. Coturnix Quail can endure sub zero temperatures of up to -25C, so I wouldn't worry about the temperature, just be sure to provide them with shelter from the wind and rain.

This hatch i tried to get the chicks to inprint on me so i hand fed them for the first 4 weeks, I didnt think it was working intill this morning when I walked past the pen all the quail started scambeling to the wall to say hello.

My first hatch of 6 went out into the cages at 3 weeks and they've had no problems. Bit of an adjustment for them going from a closed in tote box to an open wire cage, but they're doing fine and have a lot more room now.

Back
Top Bottom