Trying to live a simpler life

-Kayla

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
Westmoreland County
Hi,
I joined this community in order to share pictures of my kids with their chickens become a better chicken keeper. I grew up helping my grandmother with her mixed flock of chickens, ducks, and noisy guinea fowl. She taught me how to kill and pluck a chicken around the same time I learned to tie my shoes. Fast forward 30 years... I am interested in learning about using herbs for chicken health, organic feed, fermenting feed, and growing fodder. My end goal is to raise two healthy boys by feeding them healthier dippy eggs, soup, and chicken meat. It's a bonus that they love and have fun with their new pets.
Thank goodness yinz love chicken pictures!
-Kayla

ABOVE: Our 10 hens and 1 bonus chick (of course it's a rooster) purchased as chicks from Murray McMurray as part of the "Meat and Egg" combo. From the top- Berry (silver spangled hamburg rooster), Agent Gray (blue cochin), Jumpy and Lumpy (barred rocks), Iceburgh (black cochin), Genevieve (spangled hamburg), Snow Tiger (silver polish), Cashew and Lulu (Buff something-or-others), Priscilla (white polish), Peanut (Welsummer?).
NOT Pictured: 3 black Australorps (Truffles, Coco, Cheetah); 3 White Rock Roosters (only keeping MOFO the other two are waiting in chicken jail and will be soup for my 6 year old) They were purchased from Rural King because I had everything ready two months before my chicks were coming from Murray McMurray. We call those our "practice chickens" because they were free and I wasn't sure if they would survive the constant "LOVE" of my 3 year old.

BELOW: Two of our Jumbo Cornish X Rocks from the above mentioned combo. In the center is a 5.6lb store bought chicken, for size comparison.

My three year old kisses his chickens good night every day.

Hi and welcome to BYC
smile.png

Cute chicks - including the blonde!

Hi Kalya and welcome to BYC - I hope that enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
Ct

Back
Top Bottom