Chick adoption please help!

Samkeidenkeiran

Songster
7 Years
Aug 18, 2016
Hi there on day 21 i had my first chick hatch and on day 22 i put yer under her waiting mama and it was a success...anyway mumma abandoned her nest to raise her chick...my incubator has just flicked to day 23 and another has just pipped by the time it hatchs and drys it would of been two nights pass between when i put first chick under mama to when i put the second one under her....do you think this will be ok or is it likely she will reject the second one thanks

The younger the better, but i recently had a broody adopt week old chicks successfully. Just make sure you put the chick completely under her when its nice and dark at night. Check on her a few times and make sure the other chick isnt crying out and then in the morning as soon as they would leave the coop to see if it was successful. If not you may have to raise it in the brooder yourself but in my expiernce its turned out great:) good luck and keep us posted as to whether she adopts it:)

Thanks for your reply
1f603.png
the new chick will only be a day old when i pop her under but the first chick will be avout 3 days old so wasng sure if that would make mama weary i hope not its really amazing to see a mama raise her babies just gotta wait for number 2 to hatch successfully now i feel like its making me grey haha

It really is such a breath taking sight to see a mother and her babies. I hope it goes well too. The first time I tried chick adoption I was sure I'd go grey with worry too. All night i was in and out of the house which didnt make my husband to happy but in the morning all was well and it was a very rewarding experience. Just keep me posted! :)

Last edited:
I'm happy To anNounce That muma adopted both chicks...the second chick was 3 days after the first and was much weaker but she adapted to having a younger weaker one well I had to help a few times putting chick back under mum in that first day but they are all thriving now...you are right it has been an amazing sight

Yay! Im so excited everything worked out so well!:ya Its not only beautiful but nice to sit back and let momma do all the work and intergrating for you :)

Back
Top Bottom