Sad hens???

Erin7738

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, Pa
We had raised three chickens since they were just a few weeks old. One turned out to be a rooster so sadly we had to find him a new home. It's only been five days without him but I am noticing the two girls are acting differently. They appear to be very afraid. They now spend the majority of the day inside their coop and rarely go into the run area.
Any advice on what I can do to make them comfortable with out their guy here??
(They are just 17 weeks old right now)

Thank you in advance!!!

How about a little more information? Are these the only chickens you have? If you have others, how many and how old are they and how many roosters? What is the square footage of coop and run? Are there spots for younger members to perch out of the way of bullies?

If these are the sum of your flock, yes, they could be lonely. However, if there are other chickens and they're older, then the remaining pullets may be intimidated, not lonely, but hesitant to mingle.

No, we just started with these three chickens so now we are down to just the two girls.

They have lots of space inside and out. We considered getting another hen (or two) but I'd like to give these two time to adjust without their rooster friend if that's what they need.

Now, they are leghorn chickens, I've read they lay their first egg somewhat early... could their change in behavior be an indication they may be laying that egg soon???

I just feel bad for them!!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom