Cause of death help.

tyjorg

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
Got a question here. Today when I got home from work I noticed a hen laying next to the coop. I walked over and noticed she was not well and gasping for breath. I picked her up to check on the crop, it was completely empty and nothing smelled abnormal. I set her down to think about what to do next and she rolled on her side and stopped breathing. What do you think that could have been? I thought gape worm, but would it kill her that fast? I did not notice anything abnormal yesterday.

I'm sorry for your loss.

hugs.gif

There are so many things that can go wrong quickly - there is really no way to tell without a necropsy.

I can't help much with the what. And I'm sorry. I to had a hen recently die out of the blue. It was hot and she had been broody so the only thing I could think was she waited to long to get off the nest for a drink, or there was something else internal we couldn't see. Watch the others and make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary. If it's been hot where you are trying setting up a sprinkler or running water to the coop a few times a day to cool the area. Like the prior person said there is no way to know for sure without a necroscopy.

Back
Top Bottom