New member in France

Leannetimm

Chirping
Aug 26, 2016
Bonjour ! I'm so happy to have found this forum as I research many many details (a bit late) as my 4 laying hens have arrived today !

I am a Canadian living in France with hubby and 2 kids. I have avoided chickens for years as I'm worried about them creating too much havoc in the veg garden. I have made them a BIG fenced in area to try to contain that problem. They are currently all in their new house until tomorrow (the best way to arrive in their new home ?).

Question: We cook ALOT, therefore creat alot of compost waste and leftovers. They also have access to a big grassy area with trees and bushes. Should this not reduce the amount of feed that I give them ? How much feed per chicken should they get in those conditions?

Looking foreward to reading !

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

The grass, bugs, and leftovers they get will definitely cut down on the amount of feed they eat, as well as make the egg yolks a more vibrant color! However, the leftovers that you give them shouldn't make up more than about 10% of their diet to ensure that they have a complete and balanced diet.

I would suggest not limit-feeding, and rather feeding free-choice. Chickens will learn to self-regulate and only eat what they need. If you are concerned about food waste, you can consider other avenues such as using a more efficient type of feeder or fermenting feed. Here is a great new article about different types of feeders.

Thanks for joining us and best of luck with your new flock!
smile.png

Greetings and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. I am in agreement with BuffOrp88. Their regular ration has nutrients they need so I wouldn't reduce it. They will eat the amount they need and not overeat. And they will absolutely love the additional leftover bits from cooking you give them. They sound like some pretty lucky chickens to me! Good luck to you? :)

Thank you both ! Very helpful... I didn't realize that they wouldn't overeat and was not really understanding the "constant" feeder. I was more worried about over spending on feed as I'm planning to go organic. So will get hubby to build them a feeder (he has already done the water !). What about rodents getting into the feed ? Do I leave the feeder outside 24 hrs a day or in their little house ? We have a house on wheels so put the water feeder under it to stay in the shade.

Thanks again ! I'll go back to reading threads to educate myself ! We are all pretty excited around here
wee.gif

big_smile.png
MERCI

Still trying to get our new little flock to settle in (only 24 hours later). Are planning to build the "PatchtoTable" drainpipe feeder. Will let you all know how that goes.

Welcome! I hope you have a great time here with the rest of us "chicken crazy" people.

welcome-byc.gif

I live in France too!

Are you enjoying this heatwave ? 36 degrees here at the moment and that is in the shade...

A bientot!

Bonjour Suzie !

Yes hot hot hot, 40°C today. Poor chickens, I'd heard you should leave them 3 days in their house for 3 days when you bring them home but so hot, so I left them 24 hours and then had to "extract" them from the house to cool down in the garden ...
cool.png

A bientôt !

Mine were in an enclosure but they had access outside from day 1...

We are hoping for some rain but tomorrow only says risque d'orages...that means hailstones the size of tennis balls I think!

Back
Top Bottom