Barred rock too over Delaware hen?

FatChicksDigMe

Crowing
6 Years
May 9, 2015
Merced County, CA
I have a mixed flock and my Silkie hatched a bright yellow chick reminding me of our Delaware hens when they were chicks. Has anyone had a Barred Rock roo over a Delaware hen produce chicks?

Sorry I'm no help. I've never had that cross before, don't care for Barred Rocks personally.

Fat chicks, I think you need to get a cockerel from Speckled Hen, she breeds for good disposition in her BR's and her birds are gorgeous.

I have a mixed flock and my Silkie hatched a bright yellow chick reminding me of our Delaware hens when they were chicks. Has anyone had a Barred Rock roo over a Delaware hen produce chicks?

Never made the cross myself but genetically speaking, that's definitely not the result of a BR X Dellie cross. The BR's black and barring genes would overrun the offspring and result in a single barred chick closely resembling the father. Do you have any White Leghorns? There's not many genes that are dominant over black, but the dominant white found in Leghorns would be a good bet.

Never made the cross myself but genetically speaking, that's definitely not the result of a BR X Dellie cross. The BR's black and barring genes would overrun the offspring and result in a single barred chick closely resembling the father. Do you have any White Leghorns? There's not many genes that are dominant over black, but the dominant white found in Leghorns would be a good bet.
I have a lot of girls! Dominiques, barred rocs, black australorps, Rhode Island reds, a light Brahma (but she was broody/raising chicks at the time so it's not hers), Delawares, we also have a buff orpington, her daughter which is a buff orp rir mix, and many Easter eggers (but all lay blue eggs and this chick came from a brown egg)...idk?!

I also have a mix of a red ranger and red star hen or something but she has pinklegs.. Here's an older pic with nearly everyone except new babies that cannot lay eggs obviously!

Back
Top Bottom