Eggs with white rings

CricketFarm

Chirping
Jul 16, 2016
Canada
Hi there
One of my hens will lay eggs like this a few times a week. What causes it?
Shes a year and a half and a black copper marans.

Excess calcium deposit..... or funky spray coating.
Is the white on top of brown coating?
Has she always laid like that?

Last edited:
Yes it is, you can scrub it off. Sometimes its evenly over the whole egg and sometimes pink or purple. I dont know shes a rescue hen.

Yes I have this with my Isa Browns as well. We are experiencing a very hot March and that may be an issue. Does anyone know why this happens?

I had this happen when mine went from free ranging an acre to a 300 sq ft run. She laid one egg that had a rough splotchy white crust on it then has been fine ever since.

This is the second time it has happened and both times the egg as just on the floor of the run. It was as if she had tried to lay it , given up and gone out to peck and played it there. Odd really! This girl lays huge eggs 91 grams . I ate the ringed one and it seemed fine.......yes I still feel fine :) .

Vet said this happens when the egg stays in one part of the egg duct for too long , like the chicken cannot find a nest or is stressed or snow happens etc

Vet said this happens when the egg stays in one part of the egg duct for too long , like the chicken cannot find a nest or is stressed
or snow happens etc
Really?!?!
Not sure the snow could precipitate that kind of egg, but who knows.
Something funky going on in her egg machine.
Is she still laying them like that all the time?

Really?!?!
Not sure the snow could precipitate that kind of egg, but who knows.
Something funky going on in her egg machine.
Is she still laying them like that all the time?
I just had an egg like this and it started snowing..not fooling ya either. Plus I moved them into a hen house from inside from the winter yesterday too. I'm assuming it's stress from the move and not familiar with her new nests. It was on the floor too.

Back
Top Bottom