Araucana Hen Losing Blue in Her Legs

bluehazard

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 20, 2013
Hey everyone,

I noticed my Araucana chicken is losing blue in her eggs. Also, my large Plymouth Rock chicken laid for the first time a white, not a brown egg.

I think our feed must not have what's necessary for color.

Does anyone know what to feed them to get color back?

You might want to take a read on this article. There are a few reasons for egg shells to change or lose colors. I sure hope you can figure this one out. I have never had the trouble but have heard this does happen.

http://www.laidinbritaineggs.co.uk/Pages/color_eggshells.html

"Some" older hens can also lose their color (others produce darker egg shells) as can many eggs being laid before more "dye" is produced. Illness of some sort can also effect the color and texture of shells.

Last edited:
So, after reading the article, it appears that pigment is being lost in my chickens and eggs because they're in a lot of sun. We're in Los Angeles, and our chickens free range all day, which I think is how chickens should be raised.

So, the solution is to feed them warm water. How does one do that?

Do I have to force feed them that water?

Being that you are already in a warm territory, I would think your water is already fairly warm?

Health issues can effect the egg shell quality as well. One of our Moderators recently wrote an article on Egg Shell quality. If you don't mind doing more reading, LOL, have a read on this article too. And definitely scroll down to #7 where it talks about health issues that do effect the color of the shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

I have a hen that has been struggling with Coccidiosis and E.coli infections this past year (she is old) and her eggs have gone from a nice brown color to an off white color. I have attributed it her health issues.

Hmm.....both of those links cited seem to combine shell color with coating color.
I always thought they were separate functions/processes.....especially with the blue shells.

Hey everyone,

I noticed my Araucana chicken is losing blue in her eggs. Also, my large Plymouth Rock chicken laid for the first time a white, not a brown egg.

I think our feed must not have what's necessary for color.

Does anyone know what to feed them to get color back?
Can you post full body view pics of your Araucana and Plymouth Rock?

How old are they?

Being that you are already in a warm territory, I would think your water is already fairly warm?

Health issues can effect the egg shell quality as well. One of our Moderators recently wrote an article on Egg Shell quality. If you don't mind doing more reading, LOL, have a read on this article too. And definitely scroll down to #7 where it talks about health issues that do effect the color of the shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

I have a hen that has been struggling with Coccidiosis and E.coli infections this past year (she is old) and her eggs have gone from a nice brown color to an off white color. I have attributed it her health issues.
Thanks for the article. I'll be reading now.

Yes, the water may already be warm.

Are there any solutions to ridding the chickens of either parasites?

I was thinking it could be that too.

I can post pictures tomorrow.

Quote: Cocci is a possibility for cause of poor egg shell quality: If this bird or any bird has any symptoms of Coccidiosis, you might get them all started on Corid. Symptoms include but are not always present: Blood in the poop or urates, white diarrhea, mucus in the poop, birds that are getting thin, aren't eating or drinking, standing with feathers ruffled up. For powdered Corid: 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 to 7 days. Make a fresh batch daily. For Liquid Corid: 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 to 7 days, make a fresh batch daily. Use plastic containers only. No added vitamins to their diet.

Internal worms are always a possibility for poor egg shell quality too: You might worm them with Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer. 1/2 ml for standard sized breeds, 1/4 ml for bantams. Orally, down the throat once a day for 3 consecutive days. Repeat this in 10 days. Use probiotics after treatment for several days.

You can get both of these products at most feed stores including Tractor Supply.

How did this go so quickly from the OP about faded blue shells......

......to confusing egg shell colors with egg coating colors......

.......to treating for cocci and worms???

I saw no info on the OP's feeding regime, ages of birds, or any other info about illness or parasites.
Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Come to think of it, the Silkie laid a tiny, unusual egg. And the plymouth's egg was soft shell. I was suspecting parasites. I thought it might've been fleas, as my cat had health problems, which all vanished when we killed the fleas.

How do you know whether to treat for cocci or parasites? Or do you just do both?

Back
Top Bottom