Best age to separate keets and best way to do it?

malinois

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Butler Pennsylvania
My hen hatched 16 keets a week ago. I have 9 adult birds also. I need to get SOME of those keets off of her and rehomed, so I was wondering if any had any advice on the best age to do that, and any tips on HOW to do it without getting the crap beat out of me...lol
She is doing a wonderful job so far, but I can't see keeping them ALL! She is covering them, keeping them warm, and taking them into a stall in the barn at night. I am happy with her mothering skills !
Thanks in advance

Depends on how safe you want them and how much work you want to do! You can remove them at any time as long as you have a brooder set up to raise them. If you can keep them in the stall until a bit older, that is fine. If I have a hen hatch any, I give them a brooder light and wall off the area with bales of straw or hay. I put a small feeder and waterer in the area and mom can go over the bale barrier for a while- but caution- it does not take long for babies to try and follow her! It is a survival instinct to start tryiong to go upward at a young age for keets.
All the best!

I don't have any advice on how to separate them, but this does answer my question as to whether or not guinea hens EVER actually raise their own young?

I have had hens go broody this summer and once the eggs start to hatch, the keets just disappear! The hens don't care for them at all!

I have another hen hatching right now and she's allowed two or three babies to die in the weeds I guess? I'm firing up the incubator right now and rescuing the remainder of the eggs.

Pray I don't get too beat up trying to take the eggs!

I don't know if this will work with keets, but I used a plastic manure fork to pry my hen off of her nest and hold her back from attacking me. She attempted to attack, but didn't get me. When she called to the rooster for back up, and I heard him coming up behind me, I made my retreat. I left two eggs with her for both my safety and to see if she'll actually attempt to raise them if they hatch.

I went multiple routes this summer...watching nests, marking dates on eggs, and taking ALL the eggs at around 30 eggs? and sending them to incubators. this hen laid the eggs in a stall, that I could close off completely, inside of a secure barn, so I let her keep her nest. I have the door closed right now, all 16 keets have been inside for 2 weeks. Mom can fly out and over the wall for an outing...but she is close by. I have not let her take them outside since the first day that they 'escaped' through a crack in the door. This will be week 3, and they are starting to get some feathers on their wings-so flying wont' be too far off. I will have to separate them this week, and get the ones I am keeping into the covered coop to mature. the rest have homes......Wish me luck!

Jenny Guinea, a two year old hen, sat on 17 eggs in the nesting box in their house. 13 hatched on May 20. We still have 13 cute keets who are now close to being teenagers. Jenny and Kenny have been wonderful parents.

Back
Top Bottom