Wet baby chicks?!

halimak1

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
North Alabama
I have 1 week old pasture raising broiler chicks. They are set up in their brooder with a normal feeder and waterer and a toasty heat lamp. The problem is that they apparently get soaking wet in the water and walk all over each other and I can't seem to keep them fluffy. I'm working on a new set up but would like some insight, tips or suggestions as to why they might not be staying fluffy. I did the same set up with ducks and I know they are sloppy with water, but it seems these chickens are worse! I dunno, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

You could put your waterer on a tray, covered with hardware cloth. In theory, the excess water will go through the hardware cloth and into the tray, rather than the floor of your brooder. Also, adding an absorbent litter for the brooder may also help (wood shavings, covered with kitchen towel - something like that).

Thanks everyone! I have moved them out in the grass (protected of course)and only put them together in the brooder at night. I'm sure my problem was due to my brooder being too small. They are happy hunting tiny bugs and fluffy again! I'm definitely working on a better brooder and raising the water!Thanks again for sure!

My chicks have some of their adult feathers and they are getting big. We recently drilled holes in water bottles and put watering nipples in it. But now when they drink from it they get their heads wet. Is this ok because they are much bigger than new borns. I would say they are about 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom