SLW 4 weeks, roo or hen?

bridgetcanfly

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
Hervey Bay
This is my Silver Laced Wyandotte Brian, who will be 4 weeks old this weekend. We were joking that it was a he from the start hence the name Brian, which would change to Brianne if it is actually a pullet
1f602.png

So far it's feathers are very slow coming in, it is aggressive and dominant to all the other chicks, very inquisitive and friendly to humans and is constantly trying to fly, kick and escape.

Obviously it'll become more apparent as it grows but for now what do you think, roo or hen?

"FantasyFeathers Today at 11:02 pmFlag
its got some growing to do before you can be sure but im thinkin roo with that Roman nose. Wyndotte or Chantacler?"

It's my first time with chooks so I wouldn't have a clue but the chicken farm I bought him from had him written down as a Wyandotte and was certain of it themselves :/

This is my Silver Laced Wyandotte Brian, who will be 4 weeks old this weekend. We were joking that it was a he from the start hence the name Brian, which would change to Brianne if it is actually a pullet
1f602.png

So far it's feathers are very slow coming in, it is aggressive and dominant to all the other chicks, very inquisitive and friendly to humans and is constantly trying to fly, kick and escape.

Obviously it'll become more apparent as it grows but for now what do you think, roo or hen?

Im thinking cockerel... get some other opinions first though

Wow. Alot lighter than my silver laced wyandotte when she was a baby
i she was probably 2.5 to 3 weeks in the picture. Just looking at the comb, its small like a hen, but red like a roo. Hard to tell. Maybe comparing to mine will help you though?

Thanks all, @chelseajgoss your girl seems to be more feathered than my little one and have a small ridged yellow comb in that photo whereas mine has a large pinkish red flat area. It is much lighter than yours too, perhaps mine isn't a Wyandotte then :idunno

The feathers on the chest look wyandottey <- haha.
Id give it a little time. I thought my wyandotte was the ugliest thing until she was fully grown. Shes beautiful now. As for the color diffrence, i got a golden maran, who was the lightest one they had. The ithers were black. But she cane out looking normal.

1f602.png

That's a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel...

Back
Top Bottom