Sudden death of quail chick

CoturnixKid

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
NH
This is my first post, so forgive me if I mess anything up.

Today one of my four day old quail chicks dropped dead. It was one of the larger ones, and had never shown any symptoms that I noticed.

This is my second brood of quail and I can't think of anything that could of caused this.

He was lying dead near the warm side of the brooder, eyes closed on his side. He looked like he was sleeping. His mouth was closed and his nostrils were clear. There's 18 of them but all the poop I see looks normal.

How worried should I be? What could have happened? Any input would be lovely. Thank you.

The brooder is at 93-94. The water is in the center of the brooder and is replaced regularly. They are eating the same 28% protein turkey starter that I fed the last batch and the adults, but it's crushed into a corse power. The water is from a well, also.

Last edited:
Southern NH, not to far from the mass border. Good to see someone else from my state!

I'll have to see if tractor supply has anything I can use, or maybe agway will sell something. Weird losing a chick like that.

Cool, not too far from me. Will there be dosage conversions for quail? Or is it something that just goes in the water per gallon?

It's a water soluable powder.For pheasants I use 1 teaspoon per gallon.That may be to much for quail so I would try 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.Or you could ask them at Dodges,I doubt if anyone at tractor supply would know but it won't hurt to ask.If you go to Dodges in Hampton Falls Keith should know.Or Salem Tim will know.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
I picked up some nutridrench and I happened to have the right type of ACV.
Tried the ACV yesterday and they seemed to perk up.

Thanks for the help! I might mix up some of the drench in a few days for them to try.

Back
Top Bottom