Tail drooping rear hump not egg bound

ctrygran

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I have searched through and can't find any answer than egg bound on my little Buff Orpington girl. I went out yesterday to feed and water. Out of 30 she is the only one with the "penguin" stance. She is eating, droppings are fine and she laid an egg last night. I have looked in books and online and all signs point to being eggs bound. But I know she is not. Could she have been yesterday and have laid the egg overnight and just not recovered? There is no coughing, sneezing etc. I do live in Alabama and it has been hot (since May!) but everyone else seems ok. Any other tell tale signs I can look for? I have her quarantined until I an figure this out. So that is adding more stress to her. Thanks

First of all I would put her back with her flock, since she may be less stressed, and will eat and drink better with them. She may be suffering from one of several reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or others. But check her crop to make sure there is no impacted or sour crop, lice or mites, or other symptoms which could cause her to look puny. Has she lost weight in her breast area or become fuller in her lower belly. Unfortunately, these symptoms can be common, and reproductive disorders are not treated successfully. There are hormone implants available to stop laying. Antibiotics are not usually helpful. Try to keep her comfortable and give her some chopped egg or tuna, and a small amount of plain yogurt with her usual feed.

She slipped out with the rest of the flock earlier and was foraging with the rest. She was not happy when I put her back in the cage. I turned her upside down and checked her - she has a bald spot below her vent she has had forever. Up until the day before yesterday she was fine. She hasn't been off her feed at all. I will let her out tomorrow and keep my eyes on her. I'll give her another once over before I turn her loose. Thanks so much. Love my girls and don't want to take chances.

Well I let her out this morning. I checked her crop and all was good. Her droppings look as they should so who knows what it is. Her tail is still drooping but she is eating and drinking. The whole flock is molting as well so not sure if it anything to do with that. I am going to keep an eye on her and pray. Pretty sure it is nothing contagious. Thanks for the links I will check them out later this morning.

Back
Top Bottom