Coturnix temp. threshold

Goodwin5

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
I hatched my first batch of coturnix quail 2 weeks ago. 37 birds out of 60 eggs. Their hutch is in my back garage. I have a pellet stove there. They are on 1/4" hardware cloth in 3 stacked 2x8 ft. pens. Each pen has a 2 ft. section of hay for them to keep warm. With that set-up how cold can it safely get?

Last edited:
Chicks need extra heat for the first 3 weeks. 95 F for the first week and reduce by 5 degrees every week. If they are 2 weeks old you need to maintain 80-85 in your back garage.

Geniash they are in a brooder right now and I have been decreasing the temp 5 degrees each week. I need to know what they can tolerate after their maturity at 6 weeks of age.

Last edited:

Heat supplementation may be needed during colder months if one is living in an area that is -45 F. Coturnix are cold hardy birds but do need supplemental heat if temp drops below certain point. They acclimate at temperatures to -25 F with shelter that blocks the wind.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. Like I said I have them in a back garage so drafts won't be an issue. I did install a pellet stove and I live in northern Maine so temperatures could reach -30 F. I was planning on trying to keep it above freezing as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom