Mixing young and older.

Brizzly1146

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
North Carolina
Just have a quick question. I have some Rhode Island reds that are older than this new buff Orpington hen I got yesterday. The person says she's about 18 weeks old but she's still a smaller bird. My RIR are around that many weeks old but are pullets still. The little Buff is hanging out by herself which is understandable being new but should I keep her closed off completely from the others until she gets bigger ? Thanks.
7c134d21c57be3ce76b671e7f0390ada.jpg

c3c27fcc5f1730c3b08cfd6efaf47a0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd defiantly be careful introducing her to a flock with two roosters, though read over some articles on here about how to safely introduce birds that are about the same age. She seems just about the same age and should get along pretty well, just keep and eye on the boys ;)

welcome-byc.gif

Animals don't care about size near as much as humans do
wink.png

You're going to have issues integrating her any way you look at it. I'd go ahead and start now. Her getting another pound heavier really isn't going to matter much to the other birds, or to her. She's an Orpington, and they're more docile by nature.

I had to separate her from the others. I went out there this morning and she was sitting in a laying box and she hopped out and the others immediately started chasing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all the birds are under a year? They are all Pullets or Cockerels. Once they reach a year old they are then called Hens and Roosters.
If no blood is shed? Let them figure out the pecking order. You may find you have to many Cockerels and will need to get rid of one. The best ratio is 10 to 1...

Cheers!

If all the birds are under a year? They are all Pullets or Cockerels. Once they reach a year old they are then called Hens and Roosters.
If no blood is shed? Let them figure out the pecking order. You may find you have to many Cockerels and will need to get rid of one. The best ratio is 10 to 1...

Cheers!
Ratio can depend on the rooster, my sweet boy we had a while back did perfect with just a few ladies (3-5) and no one ever got overbred or anything but my old bantam cochin frizzle we had needed at least 15 ladies or else it got messy xD It depends on the rooster, most people do about 1:10 but depending on the boy it could be different :)

Back
Top Bottom