multiple roosters

LizzyLou

Hatching
Oct 21, 2016
I have a question about my flock. My hubby bought me 4 baby chicks for mothers day 2016 and I've grown very attached to all of them unfortunately I got 3 roosters and 1 chicken. I was hoping for the opposite. My question is they seem to get along and my chicken is laying regularly they are all about 6 months old but should I be concerned about the roosters becoming aggressive towards the others or hurting the chicken as they get older or is it ok for them to coincide since they grew up together?
Please advise, thank you

welcome-byc.gif

Your cockerels (roosters under 1 year of age) may all be getting along well now, but I'd keep an eye on things. It may get to the point where your pullet (hen under one year of age - all 4 of them are chickens) starts getting harassed by the boys to the point where she can't eat, drink or dust bathe because they're all chasing and trying to breed her. It may not happen, but that many males with one female usually leads to stress and over breeding for the female. If you want to keep them all, you could separate the cockerels into a bachelor pad and get your pullet a couple of female friends to hang out with. I just honestly don't see it ending well with all those cockerels and one poor pullet. At some point, their hormones are going to kick in and there could be fighting along with stressing her out.

Bobbi-j,
Thank you so much for your response I will definitely look into finding a home for the roosters and getting More chickens instead I don't want it to get out of hand.

Sounds like a good management plan! (Some of us would use it as an excuse to have more birds
wink.png
) I will warn you, though, that it may be difficult to find homes for the cockerels. Your best bet would probably be to advertise them for free or a few dollars and don't ask questions.

I agree with BJ. Consider yourself blessed that you don't have 3 cockrels gang raping that lone pullet as we speak. That is the more common occurrence, and you may wake up to see it happening any morning soon.

Thank you lazy gardener
I have arranged for someone to take 2 of the roosters and replace them with 2 chickens instead.

The new owner came and picked up one of the roosters he put up a fight and didn't want to leave his home it was very heart breaking
1f622.png

I didn't expect him to react this way.
The lady will be back another time for the other one because the other rooster was an even bigger drama king. But at least for now I have 3 chickens and 2 roosters. This is harder then I thought.
1f624.png

The new owner came and picked up one of the roosters he put up a fight and didn't want to leave his home it was very heart breaking
1f622.png

I didn't expect him to react this way.
The lady will be back another time for the other one because the other rooster was an even bigger drama king. But at least for now I have 3 chickens and 2 roosters. This is harder then I thought.
1f624.png

I believe he put up a fight because he was being caught. He had no
Way of knowing why he was caught. It's their instinct to put up a fight so that whatever predator has grabbed them will hopefully let them go. He'll adjust to his new home soon and be just fine.

Quote: Exactly!

BTW....all chickens are chickens.
Males are called cockerels before one year of age and cocks (or cockbirds or roosters) after one year of age.
Females are called pullets before one year of age and hens after one year of age.

Back
Top Bottom