why are we fighting

Tlco

Songster
Sep 5, 2016
Taylor, Tx

Not the best picture of the Seabright will try and get better one. The two of them fight like roo's trying to spur each other and chase each other away from food. I have set up multi feeders so they can eat cuz found Seabright the other day had no food in the craw (?). Help plz. The Seabright is same age as other chick maybe little smaller in build

Last edited:
So you think they fight because both are roo's...they are same age 5 weeks. It's a bad pic of Seabright soon as it gets light outside I will get better pic...do the roo's fight with the hens same as another roo?

Last edited:
So you think they fight because both are roo's...they are same age 5 weeks. It's a bad pic of Seabright soon as it gets light outside I will get better pic...do the roo's fight with the hens same as another roo?

I've not seen that kind of behaviour is chicks so young, personally. "Play" fighting, yes, but not defending food etc. I think i would separate the brooder for now, and ensure that your little one gets the nutrition it needs. The size of the brooder, lack of stimulation may be factors.

Hens do the same thing. My hens don't like to let the lowest in the pecking order eat and I have to put feed in seperate places. The black chick does look to be developing his comb and appears to be a cockerel. Can't tell the other from the pic.

By brooder do you mean hen? Or do you mean seperate the brooder coop by putting weaker one separate from others. No hen..just a small coop for now with heat lamp. There is a young hen in with them only Survivor from my first chicks, she is 8 week maybe 9 weeks old.

Last edited:

Everybody sleeping this morning gonna get pictures of the Seabright in a sec and post...they have teat balls have to roll ball around for it to drop a treat and dust bath areas. Brooder house is small haven't added runner to it yet....

Last edited:

This is the Seabright that the roo is sparing with..pretty sure she is a she. I see no red cone or waddles yet
What do you think?

This is temp run only out with supervised time..not secure yet

The little Sebright is going to starve if it isn't separated from the Bully. I'm assuming the black chick is not a bantam. Actually the black chick should be separated , sometimes a ' time out 'of a few days changes their attitude.

Hey Tico as CTKen mentioned, I have also seen play fighting in young chicks but never to the extent of food denial. In my experience, the little girls tend to just walk away from it and do not accept a challenge or join in.

I agree with everyone else that the little black one is a boy; not sure on the Seabright, but thinking pullet.

I am guessing the little black one is probably going to be a bit of problem child/bully. If it was me, as suggested, I would try separating them. Perhaps leave the bully with the larger “young hen” who he probably will not pick on due to size difference. She may also give him a lesson on accepted behaviour
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom