Roo laying on eggs.

kyleigh

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
One of my hens just started laying eggs. When I went to the coop today, what I'm 90% sure is a rooster, was laying in the nest. Do the roosters lay on the eggs, or am I mistaken and he's a hen?

That's funny, maybe he wants to be a hen, or is he young and the only cockerel and not sure yet? Maybe he's a pullet with a large comb? A couple of my comets have a large comb. GC

He is one of two roosters. His comb is fairly small, what makes me think hes a rooster is his tail. He also just kind of has that rooster look to him. He is also about 22 weeks old

My roosters frequently will sit in a nest box or other 'nesting' spot to show the girls that he thinks it's a great place to lay those eggs. I have a few pullets who refuse to lay in a box until her 'man' has given his approval. Chicken drama. It's hilarious.

Nothing wrong with a fella showing his "feminine side"
big_smile.png

My roo loves to climb in a nest box, or a likely nesting corner, squirm around, fluff the bedding, and chuckle up a storm. He's quite the family man, very interested in the whole egg to chick agenda.

I believe he/ she is a hen, as I saw him/ her in the nesting box again today. The one that I know is a hen, Hasn't been in the best yet, and there are only two that lay brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom