12 week old Roo with soft tissue damage in leg.

VCChick

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2016
Hi. I have a 12 week old Roo with tissue damage in his leg. I took him to the vet and he said to just watch him and keep him in the small brooder. He got worse with his walking after the vet. Think it is even more sore. I bought low dose aspirin and regular aspirin. I didn't purchase the baby aspirin because it has saccharin sodium in it. Not so sure they can have saccharin. He is a beautiful Dominique Roo. He only scoot around to get food and water at this point. I did not give him any aspirin yet....cause don't know how much or even if I should. I just thought if it took some pain away he might move around more. Not sure how he got injured either. He was with 4 hens of same type and age. They are in the coop now. How long before he gets better.....if he gets better....is there anything else I can do? The Vet isn't real familiar with chickens. He said it wasn't broken or out of joint. Soft tissue damage. He is healthy otherwise. He is 1.8 lbs. I have started him on Nutri-Drench in his water. I have ordered some Aqua Dee to give him.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This has happened to a few of mine and I have never found a full diagnosis for it.

What I have done to treat it was make feet and water close to the bird, add a quality mix of vitamins in their water and add molasses to their water. This can take just a few days or several weeks depending on how bad the bird is.

The longest one took was 2 weeks and he was a much older cockerel, if it is a nutritional issue then it will take a bit of time for the vitamins to reach his bloodstream. I also recommend picking him up and helping him take a few steps everyday, this will prevent his tendons and muscles from tightening.

Magnesium, B vitamins, folic acid and selenium are the major ones that might be deficient when you see movement problems.

Thank you! I've added NutriDrench in the water for him. It's full of good stuff plus molasses. I sure hope this handsome baby gets better.

This happened again to another rooster from another breed around the same age. By the time you notice them walking funny it is already too late. I had a Necropsy done this time. It was nutritional. It was a food I changed them to after the mash was done. I went to a pullet food from a different feed mill. One mill had the mash and the other had the pullet crumble. It took awhile to find out for sure what was happening. This has been a horrible experience. The poor little Roo's legs grew twisted and then the ligaments went to the other side. This was from two different bags of food at two different times for different ages and breeds. I am happy it wasn't something spreading to my chickens. I have so few chickens and chicks that it seems odd that this isn't happening to others that purchase a lot of feed for Many chicks from this place. Anyway just following up on this so others know and can know that this does happen. It is sad but it does happen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom