mean chickens

tim cantrell

Hatching
Mar 11, 2016
hello all,
I have two chickens, both hens, Rhode island reds.
Every time i let them out of the chicken coop, they attack me. jumping up and pecking my feet and legs. how do i get them to stop without hurting them? they are good birds otherwise and lay lots of eggs. I let them free range all day and only lock them up at night. please, any help would really be appreciated.

'Peck' them back...using your 'hand beak' (first 2 fingers and thumb held together at the tips).
'Peck' them on the head or wherever you can reach, follow them a few feet for a few extra pecks.
Fast and firmly, they can take it, it's how they do to each other and about the only thing they understand.

Put your hand on their backs, push down and hold them to the ground, 'gently' but firmly.
Hold them down, tug on the feathers in the back of their necks with other hand, until they submit.

Thanks Aart! I did it today and it worked!! I can't believe that it was that easy. They both submit now,it only took once.
Thanks again.

chickens really
"Your like Cesar ......Your a Chicken Whisperer.... Cheers!!!"
@chickens really
....Nah, it's just observing and understanding how the birds interact with each other,
then using that knowledge to communicate with them in ways they understand.
See my centrarchid quote in my siggy.

Back
Top Bottom