help! my chick is dying!

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
all day my 6 week old cemani has been just standing in the corner of the brooder hunched over, sick looking. shes hardly moving and closing her eyes a lot. a little wobbely. now she cant stand up at all. she's always been significantly smaller than the other chicks in her flock. but has bumbled around pecking and scratching until today. I felt her crop, there doesn't seem to be anything in it at all. my husband said she was eating a few hours ago... she just pooped on me and its liquid and mostly white with small black 'chunks' in it. breast bone is very prominent belly is firm but not hard. does anyone have any ideas? please respond I feel she will pass soon but I still want to know why.

the others are perfectly fine. I've separated her from her flock mates. I know shes not going to make it but is there anything I can buy to treat the others?

and there is no blood in any of their stool...if it is coccidosis should I wait for the others to show symptoms before treating?

I have had many many many cases of coccidiosis with no blood in the stool. I personally would treat the entire bunch with corid or amprolium.

Last edited:
Well my little one died that night.....sad. all other poultry seem fine with normal looking stools. I was going back and forth between should I treat with corid or not. I've decided to treat just to be safe. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom