Do you really need a duck coop?

Maryrenee

Hatching
Oct 24, 2016
We just got our first flock and we are trying to decide on how to build their permanent run. Do you have to include a coop if the whole run will be roofed? Or can you get away with nesting boxes? Please be respectful of our lack of knowledge about a coop but advice or thoughts are welcome! Thank you! We are really excited about our ducks!!

Coops are important for keeping your flock safe from predators and from wind and rain. A roofed run is good, but it doesn't protect from wind and blowing rain. And it's much easier and cost effective to build a secure coop than it is to try to build a completely secure run.

It depends on how you build the run and what materials you use.
If something can reach through, you will eventually have an issue. My ducks always like to hang out in a corner or against something. And raccoons can reach through chicken wire and remove a duck, piece by piece.
If you use 1/4 or maybe 1/2" hardware cloth, that may not be an issue.

Thank you!! We were looking at extending the wire under ground and building some wall only about half way up the. Running wire up the rest. I can't seem to find the picture we found with the idea but if so I will post it. Thank you all! We just want something easy to clean and not get gross for them. I really appreciate the thoughts
1f600.png

@Maryrenee where are you located? It may be necessary if not for predator protection but for weather protection.

How many ducks of what variety?

I prefer a house, since in encourages laying in a particular area, and keeps food mess out of their bed.

@Maryrenee where are you located? It may be necessary if not for predator protection but for weather protection.

How many ducks of what variety?

I prefer a house, since in encourages laying in a particular area, and keeps food mess out of their bed.

We live in Washington State. West of the mountains, about 35 mins northeast of Seattle.
We have three Anconas and two Rouens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom