Thin skinned

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I'm fairly new to chickens and am having a little problem.
I have 6 free range hens that are supplemented with laying mash. They all have the same access to the same food. They are 3 Rhode Island, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Americauna, and 1 Australorp.
The problem I am having is that one of them is laying eggs with a paper thin shell that is almost always broken before I gather.
What would cause this with just one of the ladies and not the others? How do I figure out which one it is> I know it's not the Americana due to color, but all of the others are brown. And by the way, that have been laying since April and this problem has just begun in the last month.
I appreciate any help with this.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

Calcium would be first thing to try and make sure she is eating normally.

But there are other causes - defective shell gland, lack of vitamin D3, egg drop syndrome.

Some hens may not be able to absorb and utilize calcium, or need more than what is available to them. You can put out a separate supply of crushed oyster shell, which hens will take free choice if they need it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to start with supplemental calcium and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom