do silkies make good adition to a flock

Bantam brother

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2016
United States of America
I have been interested in the silkie breed for a little while. I do understand that they make good pets but can they survive and thrive in a more outdoors pen with Rhode Island Reds,dominiques,australorps, and one ameracauna......

[please excuse my misspelled breed names ]

will appreciate any advice thanks

Silkies are a wonderful breed, but from what I've read you probably shouldn't keep them with standard size birds (especially the Rhode Island Reds, they can be aggressive ) they do better with other bantams or chicks that they were raised with. They're so sweet that they'll get picked on by larger or more aggressive birds

Thank you!!I know the breed silkie is recognized as the poultry puppy dog!!!looks I will have to make a special pen.I don't want A large number of silkie just a few so a small individual coop with a run will work thanks for the help!!

Thank you!!I know the breed silkie is recognized as the poultry puppy dog!!!looks I will have to make a special pen.I don't want A large number of silkie just a few so a small individual coop with a run will work thanks for the help!!
You're welcome! a few in a small coop should be fine, just make sure they have a lot of coverage when it rains, their feathers don't repel water like normal chicken feather do, so they can get soaked!

I'm hoping to keep some silkies myself, they're just so irresistible (I've got to wait until I move though, no space for a bantam coop here)

My silkies got along fine with my bigger girls, but they were definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. They eventually went to my sister though, since the roo was a really bad roo to my big girls, believe it or not, and I didn't want to split them all up.

They can get along fine, but not in singles. If you add bantam breeds, its best to do it in multiples so they have little buddies to pal around with.

Also, special consideration are ramps added for silkies since they struggle to get up on a "big girl" roost sometimes; mine did fine but getting down was a challenge ;)

welcome-byc.gif

It's possible for them to all get along, but it's way more successful when they're all raised together. Trying to add some younger silkies to an established flock of dual purpose hens will probably not end well for the silkies.

Sounds like you have the space and means to set up a separate pen, and that would be best. I have mine in a coop to themselves, and they do quite well. They're content, no one hassles them, they just hang out and look cute all day....works for me
smile.png

Just be aware those cute little doll house like coops from TSC or wherever actually house about half the number of birds they claim to. I'd not plan on more than 3 silkies in one of them.

Back
Top Bottom