Sneezing with mucus on beak

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
I have one pullet/cockerel that is sneezing and has mucus on beak. Otherwise seems fine...eating and drinking normal. Only difference is they have not been out to forage in a few days and we have had rain for a few days. Others in flock seem fine. I have had this one since July. I added 3 pullets in September from same person and 16 day old chicks October from Ideal. Everyone else appears fine. he/she is 22 weeks old. Any suggestions? The only vet I know that treats chickens doesn't work on Wednesdays.....

Here is a good link to read about common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Respiratory diseases include infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma, coryza, ILT or trach, and aspergillosis from mold fungus.When multiple chickens come from different sources and ages differ, it can be common to introduce a carrier of some disease into your flock. With the only symptoms you are seeing, it may be bronchitis or mycoplasma. Mycoplasma can be mild, or can incude runny and swollen eyes as well. Separate the sick chicken if possible, keep her warm if she seems to chill, and make sure that she is eating and drinking well. Antibiotics are usually not necessary for bronchitis caused by a virus. Mycoplasma can respond to Tylan or oxytetracycline, but many oral antibiotics become prescription only by January 1st, 2017.

Last edited:
Does this mean that my entire are now carriers? I've read so much stuff that I am getting confused. I called vet and they said to give Agrimycin but I havent been able to find any. I bought some Oxy????? that feed store had. I've seperated him out but can't decide how to handle. Several articles stated that if I keep and treat then it will be an issue with my entire flock forever....have to keep closed and so on. Several recommended culling those who get respiratory things to prevent this. Just can't decide if I want to treat or cull.....

Your flock may already be carriers, but respiratory diseases such as MG are pretty common in backyard flocks. Agrimycin is a brand of oxytetracycline. Many hens recover from symptoms, and can lay eggs. They may be carriers, and they can sometimes become ill again when stressed.

Back
Top Bottom