Should I move my chicken yard?

happytrails

Hatching
Sep 23, 2016
Since my previous chickens seemed to suffer from coccidiosis and now they have all died. So do I need to move my chicken yard to a different location to prevent my new chicks from getting the illness?

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know how to answer your question, maybe another greeter will come along and be able to. In the meantime, you could try posting your question here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Sorry for the loss of your previous flock, hope the new one works out better for you!

G’Day from down under happytrails
frow.gif
Welcome!

As far as I know, I have not experienced coccidiosis in my flock but did lose a couple of hens back in my early days from infections.

I had chosen a spot under a Mango Tree as a good place to have the coop and run but the fact that it was so shaded meant that it did not dry out after the rains and remained damp which was perfect for unwanted organisms etc.

After the move to a higher, drier, well drained position, besides loss from egg binding etc, the girls have not looked back.

If you are experiencing continued health issues, a move might be a good idea. As N F C has suggested, you could also try posting your query on the emergencies forum.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I wasn't sure if I even posted my post correctly!! Dumb blonde when it comes to this 'blog' stuff. And finally pushed enough buttons I found your responses!! A true miracle:)

I would move coop and run to an area suitable but far away from the infected site. If you free range your flock they will likely go back to the bad area
idunno.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm feeling the same in that the girls will be better off in a new area. A big job to move their hotel but best to do that. Will post later in time with update!

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Back
Top Bottom