Frozen water

KHAKI EGGS

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2016
NC
Does anyone have suggestions for keeping water thawed out during freezing conditions? We have 8 hens 2 roosters. we are having unusual freezing weather for a couple of days. Wondering how to handle the freezing water problem.

Last edited:
Try typing 'heated waterer' in the search bar at the top of the page and do an on site search. I always kept multiple water pans and changed pans 3 times daily during periods of excessive cold. Good luck at working this out.

I took a metal cookie tin, the kind you get around christmas, about 12-15inches in diameter, maybe 4 or 5 inches high with the top. I mounted a light bulb socket inside with a sheet metal screw through the side. Drilled a hole for the wire to go through,put the water jug on it and plugged it into an extension cord. I have never had water freeze using this method.

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping water thawed out during freezing conditions? We have 8 hens 2 roosters. we are having unusual freezing weather for a couple of days. Wondering how to handle the freezing water problem.
I have 45 chickens and they seem to drink an enormous amount of water! It is very cold here in Hermiston as most places this winter. I have two heated water bases in the sheltered horse stall for outdoor daytime use and another heated base in the chicken coop. It is a large coop so I also use a radiator heater to keep a second water container from freezing and take the chill off the air.

I'm in southern Michigan. My coop is partially insulated, which is more for summer heat than winter cold, and I don't heat it in winter. The 'cookie tin' type water heaters and the chickens provide some warmth too. There's a lot of ventilation high up, so no extra humidity. Mary

I'm in NW Montana. I use a 10 gallon plastic tote with lid, a stock tank heater that is okay to use in plastic, and horizontal nipples. So far this winter it's gotten down to -22 and it's stayed thawed. It is kept outside in the run with the sides of the run covered with clear plastic shower curtains.

Does anyone use just a regular bucket warmer? I have one and thought I could fill it with rocks and the chickens could use it?

Back
Top Bottom