Massachusetts chicken breeders?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Hello,

I have 8 chickens right now - 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers - that turned a year old in October and I am considering possibly expanding my flock in the spring or summer.

It is not 100% certain but I wanted to start seeing what's out there now.

I left the title vague intentionally because I am open to ideas but I have thought of a few I might want.

Those include:

More of the breeds I already have - Orpingtons, Australorps, Rocks, EEs - but maybe different color variations. Open to any color.

Wyandottes - especially Silver Laced, Golden Laced, or Blue Laced Red but any variety is fine.

Speckled Sussex

Heritage Rhode Island Reds, not production reds or hatchery RIR

Possibly Cochin or Brahma but not sure.

And like I said, I'm open to other breeds/colors too so if you or someone you know breeds any of these breeds or has another breed you think I should check out, please let me know.

Preferably not hatchery stock because then I could just go to a hatchery myself but they don't have to be show quality or champions either.

My current birds come from Meyer Hatchery and while I loved them, I am only planning on adding 4-6 more birds (so I wind up with around 12-14 or 15 total birds plus or minus a few) so I don't want to pay the shipping.

On top of that, I was hoping to add some better quality stock both in looks and temperament.

My birds are fairly friendly but could be friendlier and my Orpingtons are my smallest birds!!! Rather scrawny looking. So I was hoping for big, beautiful friendly birds.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and if you have any pictures you could maybe post or prices that would be helpful

I just remembered I think I might also be interested in Dominiques, Delaware, Welsummer, or sex links but I realize those might be harder to find.

Or I could try hatching but I've never done it

I cannot seem to figure how to start a new thread with my iPhone so my apologies for the odd reply. I am looking for some Ameracaina eggs in the central MA area. I live in the Sturbridge area. I ideally would like 2 hens so with the rooster and hatch fail rate I am thinking 6 eggs or so (??). If you are near by an willing to part with some likely fertile freshly laid eggs please ping me. .Thank you
Cynthia

Last edited:
I cannot seem to figure how to start a new thread with my iPhone so my apologies for the odd reply. I am looking for some Ameracaina eggs in the central MA area. I live in the Sturbridge area. I ideally would like 2 hens so with the rooster and hatch fail rate I am thinking 6 eggs or so (??). If you are near by an willing to part with some likely fertile freshly laid eggs please ping me. .Thank you
Cynthia

It's okay! It's still related to the topic and I'm actually glad to have the thread revived haha :) I'm not much help though but you might also try the state thread :)

Back
Top Bottom