? Blind chicken?

kellyraebird

Hatching
Jan 16, 2017
I have a 9 month old naked neck hen that was hatched at our farm, she was born with a huge fluid pocket on the back of her head/neck She could not balance, stand, walk or even sit without my help because she was so top heavy. I refuse to give up on her, I set my alarm and gave her electrolytes, fluid and food around the clock. my husband and brothers said that she wouldn't survive but… She did :) and she is the most amazing chicken, she has a personality all her own. Her name is Pek and she is also the surrogate mom to all the chicks that are born here. She is scared of the other chickens, but she absolutely loves the babies. Anyways I don't believe that Pek can see or at least not well. Until I actually touch food to her beak she does not know that it is there. She doesn't react to worms being tossed while everyone else notices the slightest peice of grain fall.; Her eyes are both all black...different from the other chickens..? She also has a hard time if anything gets moved around in the coop.. So I was wondering if the blindness or sight impairment could be from the pressure of that fluid filled pocket that she had for the first couple months of her life. I would also like to know what that fluid filled pocket wasnand if it is common? I have only gotten into chickens approximately the last 18 months so I am still learning but I am totally in love.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You are a real hero for not giving up on Pek, and obviously your nurturing helped her turn the corner and even flourish. She probably is blind. Other BYCERS have shared their stories of living with blind birds and other animals. The main thing is to keep things constant - water bowl always in the same place, feeder in the same place, and she will be able to find them easier. Does she react to noises, or if you call her? Just trying to find is she has any other impairment.

Am I right in assuming you are keeping her as a house chicken or in safe area where the other birds cannot get to her? She of course need safe surroundings to also prevent predator attacks. There is a very good thread called "people with house chickens;

I have seen dogs with totally black eyes - they had' pigment keratosis.' To "protect the eye- dark pigment covers the cornea. There may be some value to this though I can't imagine what - since the animal is rendered blind for all intents & purposes. In dogs, I know they can have that lasered off and sight is restored. I don't know that this is what Pek has but, I just thought I'd throw it 'out there.'

If you put "caring for blind chicken." or some similar phrase, in the search box, some articles should pop up. Bycers are very good about sharing their experiences and what works for them.

I'm sure we would all love to see any photos of Pek, if you can post them. Hope you will keep us updated.

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds to me as if you've done a great job taking care of Pek and she's doing a good job taking care of the chicks.

It's nice to have you join us!

Wow,you have done a great job with your blind chicken. Love the never give up attitude. This is Helen. She was blinded as a chick after being attacked by a grouchy hen. She lives with my smaller gentler sultans and does very well.

Welcome to BYC!

I have hatched a lot of NN's..and yes, I've had quite a few of them have that ..bubble..of fluid..so it seems, on the back of the neck when hatched. I have come to the conclusion that some are just more swollen, and it shows up on NN's. If you have ever seen a feathered chick hatch, with a big head, some may have that also..we just aren't seeing it. That's me guessing. I didn't have any problems with them after the swelling went down on my NN's. I did have a chick that definitely had some vision problems. You could tell, she could only see shadows..didn't see the things that you describing ..like things falling to the ground. She did fine. Is at a friends house, and is in fact, in the 2017 calendar. She's beautiful. She is fun, will come up real close to .. see you. Right in your face close! lol...good luck with your chicken. As long as she is eating and drinking. Make sure that there is food and water right where she knows to go.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You've done an amazing job caring for Pek. Good luck with her baby. :thumbsup

G’Day from down under Kellyraebird
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you and Pek all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom