One of my Isa Browns died :(

Miffny

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Australia
Hi I had 2 Isa Browns nearly 3 years I bought them both at the same time Henny & Penny .Henny has been to the vet with an egg stuck...she recovered & Penny had egg peritonitis the vet could not save her so she was euthanized yesterday & I am gutted I loved her so but worse is poor Henny is wandering about the yard clucking and very sad indeed looking for her friend . I will never get Isa's again as the vet (avian vet Anne Fowler ) and the normal vet have all told me these gorgeous chooks once they stop laying almost always get ill or just die & as I was not that informed before it was my stupid fault .

I am after a friend or 2 for dear Henny and not wanting a chook that will be at the vets all the time with egg problems to the extent my poor Isa's have had it's heart breaking

I have been told Silkies or Sebrights are good chooks to buy but I am in Adelaide SA and have no idea where to get some feathered friends from can anyone please help & please some advice on sturdy longer living chooks please .

Hi I had 2 Isa Browns nearly 3 years I bought them both at the same time Henny & Penny .Henny has been to the vet with an egg stuck...she recovered & Penny had egg peritonitis the vet could not save her so she was euthanized yesterday & I am gutted I loved her so but worse is poor Henny is wandering about the yard clucking and very sad indeed looking for her friend . I will never get Isa's again as the vet (avian vet Anne Fowler ) and the normal vet have all told me these gorgeous chooks once they stop laying almost always get ill or just die & as I was not that informed before it was my stupid fault .

I am after a friend or 2 for dear Henny and not wanting a chook that will be at the vets all the time with egg problems to the extent my poor Isa's have had it's heart breaking

I have been told Silkies or Sebrights are good chooks to buy but I am in Adelaide SA and have no idea where to get some feathered friends from can anyone please help & please some advice on sturdy longer living chooks please .

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I lost RIR to EYP...I know how difficult it is, but you can't blame yourself even if the breed tends to have reproductive problems - you didn't know, and you would have no way of predicting that it would happen to yours (and I hadn't heard that about the breed).
hugs.gif

I'm not near you, but I have several breeds of dual-purpose chickens and if you're looking for good all-around birds, Black Australorps and New Hampshire Reds are hardy and excellent layers.

Best wishes to you and Henny!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I lost RIR to EYP...I know how difficult it is, but you can't blame yourself even if the breed tends to have reproductive problems - you didn't know, and you would have no way of predicting that it would happen to yours (and I hadn't heard that about the breed).
hugs.gif

I'm not near you, but I have several breeds of dual-purpose chickens and if you're looking for good all-around birds, Black Australorps and New Hampshire Reds are hardy and excellent layers.

Best wishes to you and Henny!
Thank you for the reply FoofFreedomNow ...yes it's awful Penny was like a little dog with feathers may she rest in chicky peace . I am going Saturday to look at some Welsummer 8 week old hens apparently they are very hardy & can live up top 9 years and are hardy. Fingers crossed as poor Henny is beside herself . I love Australorps & New Hampshire's ..in fact I am a bit chicken crazy lol . x

Thank you for the reply FoofFreedomNow ...yes it's awful Penny was like a little dog with feathers may she rest in chicky peace . I am going Saturday to look at some Welsummer 8 week old hens apparently they are very hardy & can live up top 9 years and are hardy. Fingers crossed as poor Henny is beside herself . I love Australorps & New Hampshire's ..in fact I am a bit chicken crazy lol . x

Sorry for the late reply - I hope Sat's endeavor is fruitful and that you'll have pics of your new chickens to share soon. Welsummers should lay a nice medium to dark brown egg, too.
yippiechickie.gif

Sorry for the late reply - I hope Sat's endeavor is fruitful and that you'll have pics of your new chickens to share soon. Welsummers should lay a nice medium to dark brown egg, too.
yippiechickie.gif
Thanks I found a breeder in the hills & bought 2 Welsummers they are very stand offish I hope they come around to be nice pets they are very cute girls' Scarlett & Pixie ' and Henny wasn't phased at all !

Henny is a dear . The little ones are being awful hiding under the coop won't allow me to pick them up I can't even bribe them with food to come to me :( I'm rather upset .

It's all new and strange to them, so with some patience, they may come around yet (few chickens are immune to bribery!).
smile.png
I've heard that some Welsummers can be skittish, but also that they're very friendly. If you haven't already seen it, there are reviews of the breed here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/welsummer.

It's all new and strange to them, so with some patience, they may come around yet (few chickens are immune to bribery!).
smile.png
I've heard that some Welsummers can be skittish, but also that they're very friendly. If you haven't already seen it, there are reviews of the breed here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/welsummer.
Yes of course they are skittish dear souls are used to being in a giant cage with other chooks , they are extremely skittish bless them. They are funny last night refused to go in the quarantine area and jumped in the nesting box so they all spent the night together & all ok Henny is chasing them but she's just showing them she's the top chicken lol pecking order I guess .Thank you so much for the link to the article I had read it before though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom