HELP! SICK CHICKEN

Hooshie

Chirping
Jan 13, 2016
St. Louis County, MO
My year old EE is lethargic, breathing heavy and fast, and there is a hump in her back on the base of her tail. I found her like this around 3pm. I thought she was egg bound, so I soaked her for 20 minutes and put vegetable oil around her vent. She did poop (fairly large) , so that rules out egg boundness. Any ideas!?

Can you lather your finger in Vaseline and slowly stick it into her vent if you feel nothing that will rule out being Egg Bound.Can you post a pic of the lump?

I did not feel an egg inside. Where her feathers are ruffled on her back is where the lump is. It may be the muscles from having the tail down but when I found her the hump was more profound.

How old is she?Older hens are prone to Egg peritonitis causing symptoms similar to being Egg bound.It basically mean that they are internally laying eggs and it will build up in coelomic cavity which brings weight to there vent causing them to squat.There is no cure for this and birds are culled on sight.

She is almost a year old, we got her as a chick April 17 of last year. Does egg peritonitis explain the heavy panting and the hump?
I really dont know about the lump.Heavy panting is a common sign of Egg peritonitis.When was the last time she laided a egg?How does her abdomen feel?

Last edited:
When I soaked her I was massaging her abdomen and it felt a little bigger, not much. She laid her latest egg at least a day or two ago.

That rules out both possibility's.Can you take her to a vet?

Here is some near you

https://www.google.com/search?q=St.+Louis+County,+Missouri+AVian+vets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Keep her isolated in a cool and dark environment with water and food and offer eggs and tuna often.You can put a little bit of water in your hand and dip her beak in it(Give her time to drink they can be easily aspirated)

I don't have the money to take her to a vet right now. I will do home remedies, but if she passes, she passes. I will follow your advice of giving egg and tuna, and I already have her in a large dog crate with food water and oyster shell.

I don't have the money to take her to a vet right now. I will do home remedies, but if she passes, she passes. I will follow your advice of giving egg and tuna, and I already have her in a large dog crate with food water and oyster shell.

Ok.Hopefully some more people will chime in soon.

Back
Top Bottom