Treating tapeworms

HenHoneyGirl

Chirping
May 26, 2015
Arizona
Just presenting my plan of treatment to make sure it should work.
smile.png

Okay so I've been trying to treat tapeworm in my flock, thought it was gone but now it's back with a vengeance. Never thought I would hate a bug more.
somad.gif

Anyway, done some more research and I THINK this will be an appropriate treatment plan but I want to be sure. Worming is crazy confusing sometimes.
I have about 50 chickens so it would be a very long afternoon trying to treat everyone, although I might go that route to treat the ones that aren't that bad. But first I'm going to separate a couple that are really bad. I'm going withhold their food(but keep water with them of course) for 24 hours and then treat them with a pea sized amount of ivermectin gold horse wormer. Once treated I'll offer just a little bit of food and then go back to normal feeding. I'll toss any eggs and then 10 days later I'll treat them with a pea sized amount again. I'll toss eggs for another ten days after. My question with this treatment is whether or not they'll get reinfected again once put back with the rest of the flock? I don't think so from reading about tapeworms. I think they'd have to eat another bug that was infected but I wanted to be sure.
So hopefully this works? So frustrated with this, and I feel like such a bad chicken mama for not nipping this is the bud sooner.
hit.gif

Treating with Equimax would be better because it has twice as much praziquantel, so it will treat twice as man hens. Let me double check dose.

Quote: The Equimax is 14.03% praziquantel (140.3 mg/g) and 1.87 % ivermectin (18.7 mg/g). The chicken tapeworm dose is 10 mg/kg, so the math for a five pound chicken is this:
5 / 2.2 x 10 / 140.3 = 0.16 ml per 5 pound chicken

The one tube will treat ~40 five pound chickens (6.42 / 0.16 = 40.125)
1 ml of paste = 1 gram of paste

Note that neither drug is approved for use in poultry. They aren't banned, they just aren't approved.
big_smile.png

Equimax Dose for a five pound chicken is 0.16 ml

Last edited:
Okay, so just one more question I think, I'm going to get a syringe to measure .16 ml of wormer, I can use the same syringe over and over right? It's not like I'm treating two different flock or anything, they're all together so I think if one had anything transmitable to begin with everyone would have had it right now but I just want to be sure. Thank you for your help!

Okay, so just one more question I think, I'm going to get a syringe to measure .16 ml of wormer, I can use the same syringe over and over right? It's not like I'm treating two different flock or anything, they're all together so I think if one had anything transmitable to begin with everyone would have had it right now but I just want to be sure. Thank you for your help!

I think using the same syringe will be fine, that's what I do. If your confident in your syringing skills you could fill the syringe and do several birds back to back without refilling, but be careful, don't slip and give too much. :D

Everytime I think I'm ready to do this I have another question but it's on the calendar, and were not putting it off any longer no matter how much we want too. Anyway, whats the withdrawal period for equimax? and I'm pretty sure I'll need to treat again a few days after right? When do I do that? TIA

Back
Top Bottom