Silkie Hen - Questioning Marek's ? - Video Provided

cxs918

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Rehoboth, Ma
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Silkie, 9 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not walking, eating or drinking. Doesnt seem to be able to use her legs, does flap wings when handled
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since Sunday afternoon. Sunday morning I was with her and she was at her baseline. Writing this on Monday at 12pm
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. no eating - can take some water by syringe but barely interested
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal but only pooped 2x since yesterday
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Warm salt bath 2 times - yesterday and this morning; she is in my bathroom staying warm and seperate from others
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Currently houses with 6 other silkies in a shed using Koop Clean and shavings

Edited to note no egg has passed and when I felt around - I could not feel one - they all lay in the same box so I do not know when she last laid.

Last edited:
0.jpg

My first line of first aid is to rehydrate the bird... if you look up the signs of dehydration they are confused with symptoms of the disease itself. Dizzy, lethargic, uninterested in eating, will to live diminished.....ultimately the birds own immune system has to kick in. You can treat the cause of the disease but dehydration cause a lot of chaos is blood chemistry. That explained I would give her an electrolyte mix with vitamins and I would mix it according to the package and give it to her with a syringe very slowly. Do this a few times today. I would also offer her a sip of straight Apple Cider Vinegar. Just a sip. It can help rev up their appetite fast because it has natural enzymes in it. Do not force her to take this. If she is critical it may be too much for her. I like to offer my chickens who are very ill cooked oatmeal that is just cool enough that they do not burn themselves. No salt. She will need to graduate to tuna or boiled mashed egg ASAP. Just see if she can get interest in the oatmeal. She has to keep eating and drinking or her system will totally shut down and stop receiving nourishment / forget how to digest. Very important. Be gentle and quiet and persistent with her. Also, you could give her nutri drench for chickens as the vitamins will help her have some fight in her to live and make it. This is just from my experience with chickens. I am not a vet. I do hope you are able to save your bird and hopefully some of the veteran farmers and vet trained will look at your post too and have some good advice. We all feel for you.

HI I have a silkie thats about 9-10 months that started having walking trouble and looks like splayed leg. She hasn't stopped eating for drinking, she will wobble over to get treats and stuff still. its been 2 weeks and it wasn't progressing. sh was isolated on and off and given poly vi sol, electrolytes, antibiotics and medacam evener other day for a week. Today she is much more weak and will lay on her hocks and is often flapping her wings for balance. today i gave get a bath in epsom salt because she was dirt and also i saw a little Yellow crust on her foot thats really weak. Im taking her to the Vet tomorrow to see if its marks and if so we will put her down. Normally i will do everything i can to save my chicken babies but she suffering.... i hope you get answers and can get her to the vet, IMO it looks like mareks but I've never seen it in person, only on youtube. Good luck. Ill keep you posted about mine.

Did your bird progress to this stage or was just suddenly like this?

So as of this morning - 2-21-17 she was sitting upright when I woke. She was not hunched over and I was able to give her electrolites in a measuring spoon and then she was able to drink them from a small bowl in front of her. She does not seem she wants to walk over so I have her water close by. I also purchased Nutri Drench and have been mixing with the water - shes not that crazy about it but shes taking a few sips at a time. I will just keep trying throughout the day. I am very excited as to how she looked this morning. Any suggestions on increasing her appetite is welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom