Looking for info on Ameraucana breeder for male chick

Wavechickens

Chirping
Feb 9, 2017
Vermont
We are thinking of getting a rooster ameraucana (sorry if I spelled it wrong) to add to our newly arriving chicks next week. We would want to buy just one male chick around 1-3 days old, so a breeder who knows how to sex chicks and is local enough for us to buy just one. I realize this may not be the place to post and if so sorry, but I'm hoping someone out there will know of someone in the Vermont area (or close by) who can help us out!
If anyone knows where I can buy just one baby male chick of that breed please let me know, any help is much appreciated :)
Thanks

You could check out the Buy/Sell/Trade forum or check out the breed thread / state threads.

Good luck

We are thinking of getting a rooster ameraucana (sorry if I spelled it wrong) to add to our newly arriving chicks next week. We would want to buy just one male chick around 1-3 days old, so a breeder who knows how to sex chicks and is local enough for us to buy just one. I realize this may not be the place to post and if so sorry, but I'm hoping someone out there will know of someone in the Vermont area (or close by) who can help us out!
If anyone knows where I can buy just one baby male chick of that breed please let me know, any help is much appreciated
smile.png

Thanks
Breeders generally only sell straight run chicks so I don't think that'll work. You could order from a place that sexes and sells small quantities like I think My Pet Chicken does, and just order a couple of pullets and a cockerel. Other than that the only thing I can think to do is check any local Facebook groups in your area or look for local ads but if you find chicks I doubt they'll be sexed.

Breeders generally only sell straight run chicks so I don't think that'll work. You could order from a place that sexes and sells small quantities like I think My Pet Chicken does, and just order a couple of pullets and a cockerel. Other than that the only thing I can think to do is check any local Facebook groups in your area or look for local ads but if you find chicks I doubt they'll be sexed.
Thanks, we actually ordered our current chicks from my pet chicken but they were sold out of the amerucanas really early so we didn't get one :(
I posted in our local Facebook as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to pop up here just in case someone happens to breed and has more knowledge than I about chick sexing (as I have none!)
Wishful thinking is all :)
Thanks though

We'll consider purchasing a pullet rooster when ours are a older, we just hoped to find one at the same time as our chicks so they'd be raised tighter so to avoid the dreaded integration process.

Thanks, we actually ordered our current chicks from my pet chicken but they were sold out of the amerucanas really early so we didn't get one
sad.png

I posted in our local Facebook as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to pop up here just in case someone happens to breed and has more knowledge than I about chick sexing (as I have none!)
Wishful thinking is all
smile.png

Thanks though
Actually I'm picking up Black and Blue Ameraucana chicks from a breeder in Nevada this Saturday - they're all straight run though. I'm planning to select only the best five or so hens and two-three cockerels for a new breeding program I'll start this October. I belong to the Ameraucana Alliance - they have a breeder list that might have some near you if you check. You'd probably have to settle for straight run chicks but with most people's luck you'd probably get a few cockerels if you coordinated with a breeder to buy some chicks. Worse case scenario, like you said, you could simply buy a cockerel after they're grown a bit, and I'm sure any breeders in your area would have some available in a few months. Also check the Ameraucana Breeders Club - I belong to them too and the have a lot of great resources to help you out. Feel free to email any of the officers and they'll point you in the right direction if you decide to go that route.

Actually I'm picking up Black and Blue Ameraucana chicks from a breeder in Nevada this Saturday - they're all straight run though. I'm planning to select only the best five or so hens and two-three cockerels for a new breeding program I'll start this October. I belong to the Ameraucana Alliance - they have a breeder list that might have some near you if you check. You'd probably have to settle for straight run chicks but with most people's luck you'd probably get a few cockerels if you coordinated with a breeder to buy some chicks. Worse case scenario, like you said, you could simply buy a cockerel after they're grown a bit, and I'm sure any breeders in your area would have some available in a few months. Also check the Ameraucana Breeders Club - I belong to them too and the have a lot of great resources to help you out. Feel free to email any of the officers and they'll point you in the right direction if you decide to go that route.
Thanks for the info! I will most definitely look into them!

We'll consider purchasing a pullet rooster when ours are a older, we just hoped to find one at the same time as our chicks so they'd be raised tighter so to avoid the dreaded integration process.
Uhhmmm.....semantics, but can be important communication terms when discussing chickens, especially with a breeder.

Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom