how to clean pasty butt on chics and questions on care

jolenep

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
would like to know how to clean pasty butt on chicks

2nd question. on the dust bath. at about one week, I will put out a basin of DE and clay will that work?

In the first 24 hours I read somewhere that you introduce a tsp on honey, vinegar and probiotics in the water.
After 24 hours you just give plain water.

thanks to anyone who replies.

Clean their bottoms with a bit of warm water, you can use either a damp paper towel or run a bit of water on the bum, and gently work the poop off with your fingers.

Chicks don't need a dust bath, and I wouldn't use DE around young growing birds as it could damage their respiratory tract.

Some chicks will dust bath in the shaving. They technically don't need to get unless they have external parasites, which should be treated by dusting instead.

Everyone does something different when they start their chicks. Some use probiotics, some electrolytes, I personally use a teaspoon of brown sugar for a quick energy source, especially for shipped chicks. I stop after a few days and from then on my birds get only fresh clean water with nothing added.

I 2nd oldenhen, If there is pasty but i normally slow run warm water in laundry room faucet and let it run on crusted dry poop to soften without wetting a lot of areas on chicks butt (make sure not too warm nor too cold) and pat dry it immediately after totally cleaned.

I never use anything except fresh water to hydrate the chicks & feed, but I never had weak chick so far in 4 yrs.

I usually see one in a group of 15-20, so in my experiences it's not common. It usually happens in the first week, so keep checking those bottoms. Keeping them too hot or too cold can encourage it, but some just have the problem.

We tried dipping our chicks bottoms in a small container of water. This really seemed to freak them out. It was a battle. So, I filled a squirt/mist bottle with warm water and some olive oil and now squirt/mist that right on the paste. They don't freak out as much and it also does loosen up the paste. I reapply as needed to loosen tougher paste. Also, they aren't soaking wet and possibly chilled with this method.

Back
Top Bottom