Hello from the dry side of WA!

antirice

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Hi all -

The wife and I have been wanting backyard chickens for some time now and have finally decided to pull the trigger this season! In looking through the various breeds and their requirements I stumbled across the idea of having ducks instead. Though messy, they seem like really hardy creatures and are kinda weird/cute too. Plus, we recently discovered that I'm allergic to chicken eggs but not duck eggs, so we're leaning heavily that direction.

Still, I've got homework to do before making a final decision. Google keeps bringing me here so I figured it was time to start an account. There's so much information to be found!

I'm sure I'll have questions, so thanks in advance for your patience.

- Chris

Hello from Kansas, Chris, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community and are taking a foray into the world of chickens! BYC will set you up with the knowledge you need to make your enterprise a success! First step I'd recommend would be reading some of the informative articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Also, if you want to chat with some "local" poultry folks, find the WA thread in this link and introduce yourself:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes on your venture - feel free to ask any questions you might have - and thanks for joining BYC!!
wee.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Did you know that people allergic to chicken eggs can also eat quail eggs?! Quail eggs are LOADED with all kinds of good things and can be better for you than chicken eggs. They are tiny, but just as tasty. I keep quail, although since I keep chickens and can eat chicken eggs, I don't eat quail eggs much. But lots of members here do!

Good luck with your decisions and enjoy BYC! :)

welcome-byc.gif

I vote for ducks, chickens and quail!

My name is Debby and I'm an enabler.

" dry side of WA!" Are you kidding me? I thought Washington just has rain and rain and rain. I know someone in Bellevue and they said it rains a lot but mostly drizzle. Thunderstorms are rare.

They had also lived in Sammamish and Redmond - same thing. Hope it is wet enough for ducks. BYC also has "Duck threads," where you can ask them for duck info. Just put that in the search box above and it will pop up. BTW
welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under antirice
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

" dry side of WA!" Are you kidding me?

As surprising as it is to most people who aren't from around here yes, Washington has a dry side. The south-eastern 1/4 of the state is technically a desert. Mountains on three sides of us keep most of the precipitation away!

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! It's looking like we're gonna go with ducks instead of chickens. Now to design a coop & run that will keep the mess to a minimum!

- Chris

Back
Top Bottom