Bragging a little bit....

hesklj2008

Chirping
Sep 20, 2015

This sweet little frizzle Jessie had only been laying about three weeks when she went broody! She's currently sitting on four eggs, only one of which is hers. I did not know how many she could cover so we only did the 4 this time. I have never had a broody one but if she takes care of the babies as good as she sets, she's going to be a fantastic mama!

She's a frizzle Cochin? They are chronically broody. Some aren't always good moms the first time so keep an eye on her, but most are really good moms, good luck with the hatch.

@oldhenlikesdogs yes a Frizzled Cochin. Thanks for letting me know to watch her! I already have a brooder set up for the babies we hatch out of the incubator so I will at least already have the set-up just in case!

I use my bantam cochins as my incubator. They will keep hatching as long as I pull them as they hatch. At the end I leave them a couple or give them all back depending on what they are hatching for me. I have learned my lesson in letting them raise turkey poults.

They are my favorite breed. I have a couple of frizzles, as well as straight, and they are like marshmallows.

I had one bantam who hatched some eggs but had no idea what the chicks were and pecked at them. I gave them to a seasoned broody who was happy to have them.

@oldhenlikesdogs how many eggs can she cover? Jessie is my only true banty hen, the others lay
Medium to extra large eggs-right now she has one of her eggs and three medium. I think she could set more but I didn't want to overwhelm her this first time.

@oldhenlikesdogs how many eggs can she cover? Jessie is my only true banty hen, the others lay
Medium to extra large eggs-right now she has one of her eggs and three medium. I think she could set more but I didn't want to overwhelm her this first time.
Mine can handle about 6-8 bantam eggs, 2-4 standard eggs and 2-3 turkey eggs. Any more than that and they can cover them properly, and you can end up with cold outsiders. If I have enough broody hens when I need to hatch each hen gets something to sit on.

So I think you have a good number under her. She will probably go broody a few more times this season, though my broody bantam cochins that raise chicks tend to mother them until they are quite big. My hens will still be tending to their chicks at 5 months of age.

Mine can handle about 6-8 bantam eggs, 2-4 standard eggs and 2-3 turkey eggs. Any more than that and they can cover them properly, and you can end up with cold outsiders. If I have enough broody hens when I need to hatch each hen gets something to sit on.

So I think you have a good number under her. She will probably go broody a few more times this season, though my broody bantam cochins that raise chicks tend to mother them until they are quite big. My hens will still be tending to their chicks at 5 months of age.

My Blue Orpingtons are said to tend toward broodiness but they are a month older than Jessie and haven't even showed signs-so I will likely just let her brood and raise as long as she wants to and keep using my incubator when I want more. We are just really enjoying the natural process! Isn't it fun?!

Chickens are just plain fun no matter what you are doing with them. There's always something new to try. It has been an enjoyable hobby.

My Jessie and two of her babies just peeking out. They are 2.5 days old. She is still sitting on 3 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom