Pheasant wattle

lee miller1

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2016
Hi I just had a question. My ringneck rooster's wattle is looking kind of pale and dried up. Is this normal? He has been breeding the hens for about a week and it looked nice and red when he began breeding. Is he lacking some sort of nutrition or maybe a desiese? It's been looking pale for about a week now. Any info would be helpful!

Thanks Lee

What are you feeding them?Could he have gotten into a plant that can poison him?Are you putting anything in their water?This time of year their wattles should be very bright red and black spots thru out it.
Could you post a pic of him?
In N.H.,Tony.

I am feeding them game bird matenance feed. The hens are doing great. I get one egg a day from both of them. Yes when I checked their water had a little algae in the bottom pan. Could this be the cause?

No I don't think algae would do anything to them.His wattles look a little rough.Has he been poking his head thru the wire?His feathers look fine which is different for a ringneck,they are usually rough looking.His look nice and smooth.I don't know they should be very brilliant this time of year.Try giving them some electrolytes and see if his color comes back.They should get a dose of electrolytes this time of year as the hens are going thru a lot of stress with the egg laying.
In N.H.,Tony.

I am feeding them game bird matenance feed. The hens are doing great. I get one egg a day from both of them. Yes when I checked their water had a little algae in the bottom pan. Could this be the cause?
What does this birds droppings look like? Are they normal or yellowish and watery?

They look normal solid but they are kind of yellow.
I was thinking maybe blackhead disease but pheasants don't usually get blackhead, although they can be carriers. I agree with Kevin, he does look anemic! What's got me stumped is the roughness of the wattle. I have a male ring necked that has wry neck and it's wattle is almost white in color but isn't rough looking. Im not saying this bird has wry neck, it's obvious he doesn't. I've never seen this in an otherwise healthy looking bird. Im stumped.

Back
Top Bottom